Local Band Novacane Rocks The Blue Room

Local Band Novacane Rocks The Blue Room

"I think this is definitely what I was born to do." - Quinn

376
Local Band Novacane Rocks The Blue Room
Ashley McMurray

Novacane started out as Searching For Souls and had one of their middle school teachers as their first drummer. They might've essentially started out as a Blink-182 cover band, but now their music has evolved into lovely psychedelic rock pop (although it's kinda pointless to put them in a genre because they're like nothing I've ever seen before).

A good portion of my interview with Novacane was discussing their love for Blink-182, their several performances at the Boreal, how far they've come as a band, their undying love for Guayaki's Yerba Mates.

Novacane is planning on releasing an EP on March 2, 2018. They kept telling me little details of the EP and it'll definitely be something worth checking out...

"I started playing guitar in the fourth grade, which was like playing rock band with Rhen basically. He got a drum set and so we'd jam out in his garage. We even played "Back In Black" at a talent show..." - Dylan

"My middle school had a talent show every spring and so in the seventh grade, Dylan played "Miss you" by Blink-182 and it's safe to say I was pretty astonished! And I remember looking at the music video and falling in love musically with them, I guess," - Oliver

"Whenever we were writing songs in our early days, we never had much of a purpose with them. Part of our writing process was brainstorming crazy ideas to write about," - Oliver

"I only joined the band a few months ago. I met them all when I was a freshman and I'd only ever been to a few shows but then the friendship between us grew. And I climbed on stage..." - Quinn

"From when the Boreal closed to now, our music has just been snowballing and getting better and better. Our performance this past weekend at the Blue Room is a perfect example of how we've improved as musicians," - Dylan

"There was a long period of time where we weren't playing for anybody at the Boreal, but it still gave us the opportunity to better ourselves as musicians. For me, beyond the experience, I feel like it could make me really f*cking self-conscious and awkward at shows where we were only playing for a few people who don't give a sh*t (I mean, they DO give a sh*t, but the sound quality could've been better and nobody was drunk and the sound in there was so bad at times that it was hard to even LISTEN to bands...)," - Dylan

"But playing that first gig on campus in front of basically just drunk college kids, I feel like people's reactions started egging me on and it was so cool to see people enjoying our music. For me, personally, it very much inspired me to continue doing music and writing songs and playing more shows and embody this whole thing a lot more. It was like, f*ck it, people actually like this, let's play some more power chords and get down a little bit," - Dylan

"The first time I saw you guys, it was alright... I was dancing and into it and everything, but when I saw you guys about eight months later, it was really good and I was super into it. But I didn't know you guys that well. What really kick-started our friendship was when Rhen, Dylan, and I did an acoustic house show in Corvallis and then I started practicing with them more. I jumped up on stage during one of their performances at the Lorax and I just winged the entire thing like I had no f*cking idea what I was doing! But then, that sort of got me addicted to performing and I've been singing since I came out the womb," - Quinn

"At an Earth Day festival in eighth grade, Dylan and I performed "Down" by Blink-182 and I had never played the bass before in my life, but somehow I was the most qualified to perform with him," - Oliver

"We were getting ready for our first Battle of the Bands and we decided to just write four songs quickly. The first one is about Dylan and I's common experience of our moms passing away. Mine in sixth grade and Dylan's when he was three. So, yeah Dylan and I kinda always bonded over that sort of ordeal and we decided to write a song about it. That was the only song we wrote that I actually remember!" - Oliver

"I think this is definitely what I was born to do," - Quinn