Perception Influences Our Lives

What Christopher Nolan Really Wants Us to Know From 'Inception' About Our Past, Present, And Future

"Inception," "Batman Begins," "The Dark Knight," and "Interstellar" change our perspective of the past, present, and future.

42

One thing is for sure, life is a puzzle, and nothing is linear.

Christopher Nolan's movies are created on the idea of perception. It is all a matter of what we do know and what we don't. It is then all a question of how much we can figure out, show others, and how long this can take.

He visualizes the distortion of our world through dreaming, memories, time and space, and the real world. "Inception" is through dreams while "Interstellar" is through the reality of life on Earth and in Space, reality, and tricks in "The Prestige", heroism in "The Dark Knight", and so on.

It may seem like Inception to us, but really it is a type of deception. Distortion is deception, and by distorting our world, we see things that we wouldn't have seen before.

Nolan emphasizes the need to sacrifice who you love for what you love.

Passion can be a virus. In "Interstellar," X had to sacrifice his kids and watching them grow up to theoretically save the world. In "The Prestige" X and X were so infatuated with magic and coming up with a mind-blowing trick, they lost themselves and the people they love in the process.

The truth is an interesting idea in these films because the truth is usually buried somewhere. Either in a pile of hats, layers of dreaming, galaxies, etc. The truth doesn't always come out at least to the characters in the film. The truth is what would make the difference, but if X knew the truth before he went into space, he probably would do it. There is a selfishness that comes with the truth. I love the quote in Interstellar when

The underlying question in all of these movies is, is it worth all of this? In every movie, Nolan has made it seem like it is except for "Inception." Do we really ever know what happens in the end? No. And that is the beauty and curse of it. Once we have it all figured out, do we really?

"Inception," you never really know the end do you?