Nothing But A Memory

Nothing But A Memory

A Walk Back Down Those High School Hallways

12
Nothing But A Memory

I stumbled upon my senior video and found myself watching not only the whole 20 minutes of it, but crying at how fast time flies. Two years ago this time of year I was just beginning my senior year of high school and feeling on top of the world with not a care in the world. I never would’ve thought so much would change in the past two years and there’s so much I wish I could do to go back in time and fix things or relieve those moments. But since time traveling has yet to be invented this article will have to do.

For starters, I want to apologize to all those that I had hurt or am no longer friends with that I was once in high school. High school were the four years I started to find myself and the actions that led to it were horrific to those I was close with. I was naive for majority of high school and no matter what, I didn’t want to listen to others advice (I still struggle today). I lost a lot of friends in high school over boys and drama that wasn’t necessary to begin with in the first place, maybe if I had woken up years earlier I wouldn’t have been so to myself in high school. But in between all the hate and fighting, I found some pretty great friends as well. Two in particular who I still talk to and consider my closest friends. We went through everything in high school especially our Junior and Senior year. You don’t realize how much can happen in high school and how appreciative you are to have friends that stick through it all.

Looking back at my photos, not only did I thank god I got a decent idea of how to do my makeup and pick out an outfit, but I also realized all of the memories I had made in high school.During high school I felt like I never did anything exciting or memorable enough (maybe that was because I was too scared to step out of my boundaries). But in actuality I made so many memories and so many new friends along the way. Although most friendships were made towards the end of my senior year, I still cherish the crazy wild moments I had. In high school although I didn’t step out of my boundary much, I also didn't have a care in the world. You have no stress about living situations, savings, finding time to visit everyone and making sure that what your majoring in, is something you can stick with for the rest of your life.

Nothing completes the smell of the cafeteria in middle of the day and the millions of “fire drills” through out the year even if it was snowing outside. The morning announcements where everyone stood up for the pledge of allegiance and then droned out the rest of the announcements unless it was dance information. Oh and let’s not forget homecoming and spring were the big things to look forward to every school year. Although I didn’t have dates except for my senior year homecoming, I still made a point to go to every dance and soak in every bit of high school teen sweat on the dance floor jamming to horrible pop music that I could. Senior year was full of running through the hallways the first day of school (and no where near physically prepared for it , Senior Celebration and trying to stay up till 4 in the morning, Senior Week, Air Band and of course Prom. Nothing could have prepared us for those last final moments before we walked across that stage on May 20th.

Community college isn’t that off par of what high school was, but it’s not the same atmosphere or excitement that fills those overcrowded hallways.It’s funny how fast time flies, how one second your in high school anxiously waiting the moment to leave and the next your in college wanting to go back. If I could go back in time and spend an extra day with some close friends in that school I would. Since then though I wouldn’t take back all the memories I have made since leaving those doors a year ago. I have met so many new people and even found a really great relationship since leaving those high school hallways. Sometimes, leaving high school and finding your own path is much better then staying stuck in the past, even if the memories were great.