An Open Letter To My Future Self

An Open Letter To My Future Self

No, the world is not out to get you, but sometimes it may feel that way.

466

Dear future self,

I write you this with the hopes that you’ve achieved all of your goals, and that all of your plans have followed through. I hope that you graduated college and found your dream career. I hope that you built your dream house that you always planned on living in. I hope that you’ve met the person that will make you happy for the rest of your life. I hope that your life is now all that you’ve ever wanted.

Although you’re only 19 now, it’s only right that I remind you to continue to live fearlessly and carefree. It’s okay if you still make mistakes-- you’re human. Be happy in the skin that you’re in and always keep a kind heart. Your skin may not always be silky, but your heart will always be golden. Regardless of how old you get, I pray these qualities never die.

You’re my hero, not just because you’re myself, but because you’re my bigger and better “self." As I write this, I think of you as my light at the end of the tunnel. You’re the end product to this equation I’ve been working on all my life. I hope those sleepless nights and early mornings paid off. I hope all the blood, sweat, and tears meant something. You used to doubt yourself, but that never did stop you.

When you were younger, you prayed often, you lived openly, and you loved freely. You kept high hopes and always had faith in what the future holds. You were a free spirit and you lived in the moment. I hope that everything that you ever imagine happening comes true and that you live your life as happy as it can be. Never let anyone crush your dreams and always stand up for what you believe in. I hope that later in life you go back to read this letter and smile and hopefully, by then, everything you ever hoped for is coming true.

Know that I loved you then and I love you now for all that you’ve done and all that you continue to do. It’s important that you always continue to love yourself and take time for yourself as well. Life only gets harder and you have more responsibilities now. But, stay focused and keep your head held high. You can do anything and be anything that you want.

Sincerely, Your 19-year-old self