Note To Self

Note To Self

A Letter For My Eights Weeks Ago Self

24
Note To Self
Me

Today is the day. Today, my pledgeship period for Sigma Chi is over, and by the weekend's end I will be a brother of Sigma Chi. In lieu of this, I think it is pertinent to write myself a letter, a letter that I would've given myself as I was starting the process. In doing so, hopefully I gain perspective on my pledgeship, both on my successes and failures. Further, I hope to make it a reflection on how I can continually improve when I am a brother.

Dear Jake,

Tonight is the night that you start the process of becoming a Sigma Chi. I know, it's a moment you've been anticipating for months, but read these words carefully. First of all, I want you to know that yes, it is a great house and organization to be a part of and you made the best choice. I want you to take the next several weeks seriously. Being a part of this house means that you are going to be spending time around these people for the rest of college. Therefore, when it comes time to do connections, do more of them than I know you're inclined to. Yes, I understand that your comfort zone is with the same people in the house you always hang out with, but there are fifty plus brothers in this house, so you should be making the effort to know them. Push your boundaries even though I know you are reluctant, because you won't regret it if you do.

Not only do I want you to be getting to know your brothers, but I want you to be getting to know more of your fellow pledges than you already do. They're also people you'll be spending college around, and they share the bond of being pledges the same time that you are, so make an effort to push your boundaries of comfort. That's a must!

Jake, I also want you to be taking yourself more seriously. I know that it is easy to laugh at yourself, to feel like you're not as good as others, but stop. The ambitions you have are not defined by how much money you'll make, nor are they defined by others' ambitions that you see being "greater." Being a teacher means changing the lives of individuals in a good manner, and that is what Sigma Chi asks of you. By being a brother and bringing as much positivity, openness, and kindness as possible, you are changing lives. It may not be in dramatic ways, but it is change nonetheless.

Finally, I want you to always remember what you are striving for. You are striving to better yourself and also to better Sigma Chi. Strive to better yourself, the organization at large, and Chi Chapter.

With Regards,

Jake