Not having a summer job in college

Not Working The Entire Summer? That's Entirely OK And Don't Let Anybody Say Otherwise

It's OK to take a break for yourself!

77
pool life preserver
Macarena Calzado

Most college kids come home for the summer looking for a job. College is expensive, and between off-campus rent, tuition, food, textbooks, nights out, etc., a job would do us all some good! I am no exception. For the past five years or so, I have been lucky enough to work at a summer camp through my high school. I have learned so many life lessons through my fellow counselors and kids I have worked with, and, for that, I am forever grateful. However, that being said, I also value the time that I am lucky enough to take to relax.

Last summer, I worked for the whole eight weeks that my summer camp ran. It was a ton of fun, and I got so close with all the people I worked with. I found one of the girls that I would learn to call one of my best friends (shoutout to Lexi), got a lot closer with two of the girls that I graduated with two years ago and formed new and closer friendships with the girls that were still at my high school (Notice how I don't mention any boys. This is only because my school was an all-girls' school.).

However, I found myself exhausted at the end of the summer. Coming from my first year of college, I started working as soon as I got back. Last summer was one of the summers that my family decided to not go anywhere for a family vacation, so I got right into the camp groove. By working the entire summer, I found myself burnt out and exhausted, not at all ready for a new semester come the new school year.

So, for all of you who think that you have to work all summer in order to have as much money as you can for next semester and in order to seem successful as a college kid, I want to tell you right now to stop thinking that way. Please, take a break for yourself. This summer, my family was lucky enough to be able to get away and visit some family in Mexico. The time that I've spent relaxing and taking time for myself has already helped me to rejuvenate and get ready for another year of camp as well as another year of college starting in the fall. You cannot be the best version of yourself if you do not take some time for yourself.

Can't afford to get away someplace far? That's totally OK! Simply take a week off from work if you can and enjoy some time for yourself in the summer. After all, summer is a break from the stresses of school and not just a time to give yourself more stress. With all that being said, some people simply cannot take a break at all. And that is OK, too. Everyone is different, but just know that taking time for yourself is OK.

So, to all my college-aged audience out there, if you can get a job, I highly recommend you do it. It's a sure way to not get bored in the summer, make new friends and have money to pay for the insanely expensive thing that is a college education. But don't burn yourself out. It's just not worth it. Take time for yourself and have some fun this summer, too. You will have the rest of your life to work every single day. So enjoy your time this summer when you can!