An Open Letter To My Not So Little Sister

A glimpse into the life of a sister.

4
Courtney Staples

I don't remember when you were born or even some of the first few years as I adjusted to sharing all my things with such a tiny human. But I do know that I have loved you since the start. Even though we spent most of our lives fighting over stupid and petty things, I've always secretly loved you and your annoying self.

Looking back, I realize just how much I took you for granted. I made you do things for me and I blamed you for so many things I did or didn't do. I still make you do things and I still blame things on you, but now I do it because I love you.

When I moved to college a couple years ago, I thought it was when we wouldn't talk as much or even get to see each other. But with everything we went through while we were apart, being able to spend time with you was and is something I cherish. Watching you grow up and see the woman you are growing into makes my heart fill with joy.

I’m so incredibly proud of you and the woman you are becoming. I remember all the times when we were little and I hated whenever you would come in my room when I had friends over or try and do everything I did. But now I love sharing you with my friends because that means that they get to see how much you’re growing and maturing.

With everything that happened last summer, I knew I wanted to get away from everything and try to escape the problems going on. But you were the reason I stayed. I ended up realizing just how much you needed me and just how much I needed you. I knew I couldn’t get through it on my own but I also knew I didn’t need to. I still vividly remember you telling me that you knew I wanted to get away, but that I couldn’t this time because you needed me. You had to go through all of it on your own before I ever knew and it completely broke my heart to hear you say that to me.

You’ve become my best friend. I know sometimes I may seem uninterested and like I would rather do something else, but that’s only true sometimes. But seeing your face light up when you talk about drama or Broadway, or hearing you get excited about things makes me want to just jump for joy. Your laugh is one of my favorite sounds and I could listen to it every day for the rest of my life. When I’m not with you, my heart hurts because I always wonder what you’re doing in that moment.

I know you hate to cuddle and really any kind of physical touch just creeps you out, but I love when you run and jump on me or you just come out of nowhere and hug me. I love you more then you will possibly ever understand and I hope you never forget how much you mean to me.

Thank you for your love and your friendship. You truly are a blessing to me and everyone you come in contact with.