You're Not Pro-Life, You're Pro-Birth

You're Not Pro-Life, You're Pro-Birth

If you're going to call yourself "pro-life," you need to actually fight for the lives already alive, not just for the baby that'll be born.

527
You're Not Pro-Life, You're Pro-Birth

There are many reasons why women get abortions that people don't talk about such as drug use, alcohol consumption, rape, financial circumstances, not wanting kids, etc. Things like drug use and alcohol consumption can cause parental rights to be terminated and force kids to be put in foster care. The problem with that is are our system is not equipped with the right resources to handle all the children it is forced to take in.

In America, there are nearly half a million kids in foster care this year alone.

Only around 135,000 of them will get adopted. That means only 31% of them have a chance at being adopted. Sixty-nine percent will continue to age waiting for a chance at a family and, sadly, the older you get, the less likely you are to get adopted.

Twenty-thousand kids will age out of foster care this year and never get the chance to know what it's like to have a real family. The only items they'll have when leaving is what they came to that foster home within a garbage bag or what they bought themselves. Once they're out on their own, statics have shown that 46% of them will be homeless at least once by the age of 26. Twenty percent of them will be in jail in a year or less after aging out. Yet, when someone says they're getting/gotten an abortion, one of the first things a "pro-life" person will say is "why not just put them up for adoption?"

The reason why is because our system is broken.

You see, there are stories on the news all the time about how foster care doesn't have enough money to support all the children they have, but there's nothing being done to change that. If people were really pro-life like they say they are, how come there are not rallies and talk about changing the situations they're in?

Why are people so willing to fight for a baby that hasn't even been born yet, but they won't fight for the children already here.

Why do they not try to work to make this a better place for future kids to come into so expecting mothers aren't so scared to give birth?

If moms that couldn't afford a baby or are not ready to have a baby weren't scared on what would happen to the baby in foster care, maybe so many women wouldn't feel the need to even have an abortion. One study by the National Institutes of Health found that 90% kids in foster care had experienced some of traumatic experience. How could you ever give up your child to a place like that knowing all the horror stories that have been told and that trauma is so common?

Every 25 minutes, a baby is born with some form of drug withdrawal.

It is hard enough to find people willing to adopt children in general, but it seems like nearly all odds are stacked against kids with a disability on top of it. Babies born with a drug addiction can go through withdrawal for up to 6 months and even after the physical symptoms are over, the mental ones can still linger. It is common for babies born with a drug addiction to have problems down the road such as a learning disability, lower IQ's, mental health issues (such as depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, etc.) Parkinson's disease, sudden infant death syndrome, etc.

That being said, it has become a challenge to find parents willing to provide the extra care needed to take care of a child born with a drug addiction. It can become very pricey paying for extra doctor appointments, medicines, therapy, etc. and many mothers are arrested and have their parental rights terminated after giving birth to their child for doing drugs. For these reasons, many potential adopters shy away from adopting a child born with an addiction.

There are so many different circumstances in people's lives that many "pro-lifers" don't bother to think about when they hear a woman has gotten an abortion. Instead of offering support or trying to make a change in the world so women don't feel the need to get an abortion, they berate and criticize the women. They do this because they're not really pro-life, they're pro-birth. They don't give any thought to the people on the earth already (I.e. the women struggling or the children already born), they only want to ensure the baby is born. When are we going to talk about what happens after that though? It is time for this to change.