Anthony Bourdain Died 5 Months Ago And I'm Still Not Over It

He changed my life, and I still feel as though I've lost a friend.

38

Traveling has always existed at the forefront of my life, slipping into every dream and aspiration I have ever had. Growing up, one of my favorite pastimes was turning on the TV and watching Anthony Bourdain with my dad. We would sit in our living room, and listen as he told stories of the places he's been, simultaneously expanding our worlds and our knowledge for the better. When I watched, and continue to watch, Anthony Bourdain, I feel as though my heart is reaching out to those that are thousands of miles away. Our world seems so incredibly complicated, and we often allow ourselves to become fixated on differences, however, we are truly more alike than we appear to be.

Anthony Bourdain had a unique way of making his viewers feel as though there were there in the country with him. The cinematography and scenes captured are, by themselves, truly incredible. However, there is more to the show than the breathtaking views. The most impactful part of the show are his words. His life lessons, the little phrases said in passing. The remarks that make you sit back and think for a moment about what was just said, as though it may change your life. These are the phrases that I live for; the phrases that I seek when I turn on Netflix and wait to hear his narration.

Anthony Bourdain has taught me many life lessons. One of the most important is the fact that life is simple. All you need is good company, and good food, and you are set. Among all walks of life, we all seek the same things. Whether you are from Africa, Seattle, Guatemala, or wherever in the vast world, it does not matter. We are all the same, and at the end of the day as long as you have felt love and seen beautiful things, you will be okay. This life is beautiful, and this world is vast, and Anthony Bourdain's dark demise speaks levels about many mental health issues, but in my mind, his philosophy remains the same, and I will always respect him for that. For connecting me with strangers from around the world. For emphasizing the desire in my heart to travel. For sharing his soul with others, time and time again.

"And you know what surprised me? While airborne, as I flew out, and then plummeted down towards rocks and sea? I didn't care. I was not afraid. I've known love. I've seen many beautiful things. And it was enough."