To The Ex Who Told Me Not To Lower My Standards, Thank You

To The Ex Who Told Me Not To Lower My Standards, Thanks For Reminding Me I Deserve Better Than You

I'm not typically one to lower my standards.

116

I have always been the girl to know exactly what she wants. There was never a time in my life that I didn't know what I wanted.

I'm not gonna lie, I have a type.

It wasn't until recently that I noticed that every single guy that I have had a thing with has been exactly the same. Think Harry Styles mixed with Tyler Seguin (I guess that's what I get for knowing what I want).

Most of them looked very similar, but what was more interesting was that they all pretty much had the same mannerisms and likes. They were all very sweet, kind, funny, and athletic. All but one...

He was different.

Taller, he played college basketball for a bit, wasn't that funny if I'm being honest, but he seemed sweet and was nothing like any of the guys I had been with previously. I decided to go for it even though he didn't really have that good of a sense of humor, which is the top quality that I look for in a guy.

For the first month or so I talked highly of him to my friends. They didn't really see it, just surface-level he wasn't my type, but even underneath it all, he still wasn't what I was looking for.

I desperately didn't want to see that.

He was an attractive guy, and I so badly wanted to see myself with him. We casually dated on and off for about five months. It was never anything serious, and toward the end of it, you could tell he was way more into me than I was him.

And in that whole five months, I think he made me laugh maybe twice.

In one of our final chats, he told me he really liked that I always knew what I wanted.

He told me that he loved how I could pick a restaurant, a movie, what I wanted to watch on Netflix. Then, he went into this whole spiel about how I should never change what I want for a man and how I should never lower my standards because that is what his mother did.

Which, yes, this spiel does sound like it would be nice, however, he ended it by saying that, "I picked a good one," and then he kissed me.

I never spoke to him again.

Well, I tried to never speak to him again. Which went well for about 13 months, until he hit me up this week. I was taken back a bit. It wasn't even the fact that he was back in my messages because I know we are all bored, but rather the only text I get after 13 months of not speaking was "Wyd?" not even a "How are you?" or a "How"s life?"

It was in that moment that I realized he was the only one I had ever lowered my standards for.

He then proceeded to try and sext me while I was at work, then get pissy when I wouldn't respond even though I told him I was at work.

So, there you have it, ladies.

Never lower your standards or you will get a college dropout who tries to sext you while you are at work. Always go for what you want, and never stop until you have it.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.