Not Knowing What You Want To Do Is Okay

Not Knowing What You Want To Do Is Okay

Your degree does not need to reflect your job

91
Not Knowing What You Want To Do Is Okay
Erin Curley

Life is hard, no one is denying that. So, it only makes sense that trying to project what your future is going be like is going to be hard too. College is meant to make that process a little easier for us, but what happens when it just confuses us more? Sadly, that happens for a decent amount of us, and I am here to tell you that's okay!

Who thought it was a good idea to tell a person they need to know what they want to do for the rest of their life at the age of 17? We aren't even able to vote yet and we are asked to project into the future so far that we pick a degree to match the job we want for the rest of our life. It is unrealistic to expect someone to know that. If you did, congrats to you, because I sure as hell didn't. I thought I did, but no way do I know for sure now, and guess what? I am perfectly okay with that, and I will be as I continue to finish out my degree.

Guess what else? Your degree does not have to define your future as a whole. I know way too many people whose degree has nothing to do with their job. For example, my mom has a degree in journalism, but she is now in sales management. I know another person whose under graduate degree is in psychology, but is now in marketing. Then there is me. My undergraduate degree is religious studies, but wait for it... I want to be a nurse. *boom mind blown* And honestly who knows if I will decide to do something else in another month.

Being okay with knowing that I can change my mind about my future is the best decision I have ever made. I felt like I was being pressured to figure out what I wanted to do, and to stick with it, until it finally clicked that I was the only one pressuring myself into believing that. So, if you are one of those people that feel that pressure too, stop. It is unrealistic to think that you need to plan out your whole life in the 4 short years you are in college. Pick something that interests you, and pursue it. But, don't feel like you are stuck doing that for the rest of your life. You have so many years ahead of you, and lucky you because you get to control what you want to do with it.

College is meant to be a time that you enjoy and find things that interest you. So, go out and enjoy the experience it hands you. Worry about the future in the future, and stop freaking out because you don't know what you want to do now. Be present in the present and I promise the rest of the pieces will fall into place soon enough.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why it is called the present"- Bil Keane