It's OK To Not Go Out

It's OK To Not Go Out

You shouldn't feel bad about putting yourself first.

24

FOMO (fear of missing out) is alive and well and is always hanging over your head when you're asked to go out. You're afraid of missing out of a fun night out with your friends, going to see your significant other, or whatever event you're invited to. Even if you want to stay in, you always have the feeling that you need to go out. I'm here to tell you, you don't.

I've been there. Knowing I'm going to regret it the next day but saying yes anyway. But missing out on one night isn't going to make or break your social life, no matter how much it feels like it will. I can't tell you how many times I was on the fence about going out and regretted it the next day. Whether it be because I had so much homework and not enough time to do it, or because I was sick and felt a million times worse the next day. It's okay to say no to put yourself first.

I know college is about having fun and making great memories, but having fun shouldn't get in the way of the real reason why you're here. If I got $1 for every time I've heard "you're too busy," "you need to loosen up and have fun," "come on just take a break," I could pay for college without having any debt.

Yes, I want to have fun in college. But I also don't want to put off the reason I'm here and damage my future. Yes, I take on a lot, taking 17 credits a semester, working two jobs, and tackling my senior thesis on the side. But I don't care that I'm busy. I don't care if I have to miss out on a few nights out because I know what I'm working toward is going to define the rest of my life.

No matter how much people nag you to "take a break" and go out, don't feel like you have to. There's nothing wrong with prioritizing your time and putting yourself first. FOMO is hard to push aside, but I promise you'll thank yourself later.