Changing Your Major

Not Becoming A Doctor Was One Of The Hardest Decisions Of My Life

It took me a while before I realized my life was mine, not anyone else's.

741

My parents always told me I was going to be a doctor. Not asked, told. Since I was six-years-old, they stated the unknown fact that I will definitely become one. I will help so many people. I will have so much money and live in such a huge mansion. Once I was in high school, it was stated that I was to be a pediatrician or an obstetrician or maybe even a gynecologist. It was already in my head that I was to become one of those.

And that's it. I mistook peer pressure for passion. Any other options besides doctor never even crossed my mind. I always sucked at science. I had no passion for it. My passion was reading, writing, and history. But I ignored what I was actually good at because the idea of becoming a doctor was engraved in my mind. If I don't become a doctor, what else am I gonna do with my life? I basically become a failure then, right? I disappointed my parents and crushed their dreams. I disappointed everyone who knew I was pre-med and failed to meet their high expectations for me.

It took me a very long time to realize... so what? So what if I didn't live up to the expectations other people in my life had for me? In the end, it is my life and I'm the person living it and directly dealing with my successes or consequences. After suffering through chem and bio my whole freshman year of college, I knew I could not go through 10 more years of science and then work with science every day as a doctor for the rest of my life. It was not what I was good at, it was not my passion, and it took me a very long time to accept that.

I started exploring different options. My older sister suggested I try law so I researched it and decided to give it a shot. It was ambitious but for the first time since I entered college, I was excited. Law was a mixture of all my passions and I was so hyped to learn more about the field and grow as a student.

So I went from a typical biology major on the pre-med track to a double major in psychology and political science on the pre-law track.

And it was definitely one of the best decisions I have made in my life. Now, I actually want to study and learn more. I read my political science articles with a passion I never had for chemistry or biology. I want to do better because I know I can do better and be better.

But, I won't lie, when I initially switched to pre-law, it seemed like most of the people in my life didn't believe in me. They thought I was chasing a dream far out of my reach. But they only thought this way because, in their minds, science is the only subject you can succeed in. Which is so untrue. And I never stopped doing my research for pre-law. I spoke to different students in law school and they advised me and reassured me that I was definitely on the right path and that my dreams were valid.

My parents were a bit difficult to handle, but they soon accepted the fact that law was something that I wanted to do and they trusted my choices. They knew I had the capability to be great. And now I know that, too. You cannot just choose a major that will pay well or give you a good reputation, you need one that you can excel in and will push you to your limits. I know that my majors will do just that for me and I know I can grow within these subjects. I expect nothing less.