Not All College Students

Not All College Students

How can we fix the problem if you say we are the problem?

10
Not All College Students
Westbridge College

As a college student, I have experienced the most demeaning references and accusations from an unexpected place. These bad-mouthing ideas and action are not from "that terrible rap music" or "those awful movies" that seem to poison the brains of college students everywhere. These belittling and depreciating comments come from the adults that were the past generation of college students while they are raising the next generation of college students. These adults fight for everyone's rights until it is inconvenient for them to acknowledge that college students are anything more than drunk party people that are only capable of causing problems. Well, I'm here to tell you that not all college students deserve to be mistreated and disrespected.

It has recently been brought to my attention that the majority of those above the college age, and sometimes even those that are in graduate school look down upon college students as being irresponsible, disrespectful, and "classless." To those adults that view themselves as superior to the average college student, why do you believe all college students are so terrible and classless? Have you met all of the college students in your neighborhood or in your area? My guess is that you've merely witnessed an action that no self-respecting adult could possibly commit. Blindly blaming it on the thousands of college students that live in the area is not a way to win the respect of the nations future CEOs, government officials, engineers, and educators.

The argument is often made that "college kids are worse than children." With this attitude you are sending children off to make the biggest decisions in their lives while trying to juggle a job, a full schedule of classes, and extracurricular activities. No college student is perfect; actually, no one is perfect. The adults that view themselves as a greater group of people should take into consideration all of the things that are thrown at students during their college years. Learning how to be an adult is not easy, and everyone that has gone through it should show some understanding and reach out to the college students instead of pushing them down farther into the holes that their already in.

To everyone that believes college students are the scum of the earth, how can you say this about the future of America and the world? These college students that you claim are "entitled and babied" are usually working at least one part time job, taking a full load of courses each semester, and staying involved on campus in many service and social organizations. These feats of time management are inspirational and should make you think twice when you start to bad-mouth those "damn classless college kids."

We are not classless. We are not worse than children. We are not the reason your property value decreases. We are not the reason the crime rate increases. We are not the reason you life is not perfect. College students cannot constantly take the fall for everything that is wrong with society. Many people expect this generation of college students to solve society's problems, but how can we if society thinks we are the problem?

Not all college students deserve your blame and disgust. All college students deserve guidance and understanding.