Why You're Probably Not Actually Against Trigger Warnings

Trigger warnings are already a part of everyday life.

43
EverydayFeminism

The hot topic lately seems to be trigger warnings. University of Chicago in particular made news by releasing letters saying they do not have "safe spaces" or "trigger warnings."

Not only is this untrue, but it's ridiculous. I'm sorry, but how does a top-ranked university not know what trigger warnings are?

Definition: a stated warning that the content of a text, video, etc., may upset or offend some people, especially those who have previously experienced a related trauma

Um, so this letter...isn't this very letter a stated warning that they might have text, video, speakers, etc that may upset or offend people? I'm definitely not the only one who's noticed this irony. C'mon. Instead of writing a blanket letter that is itself a trigger warning, why not include those more individually?

Here's something else to chew on that is not University of Chicago specific: You support trigger warnings! Maybe not support, but you've been surrounded by them all your life and never cared. Does this look familiar?

Let's see. It's certainly a stated warning. And it's letting us know not only that here are things in the movie that may upset or offend, but details on what sort of things that might be.

I've never heard of anyone having an issue with movies warning you about the content inside. So why the heck is it so "controversial" that people want trigger warnings elsewhere?

And we use "trigger warning" - like phrasing in everyday life. We prep people by saying, "I got bad news," "You might want to sit down for this," and other cliched phrases. We let them know that something upsetting is about to be said.

Someone might try to argue with me by saying, yeah sure, but you still say it, people still watch the movie, etc. Well no duh. That's actually part of my point. Those were a more familiar form of a trigger warning, but just like those, trigger warnings on blog posts, before speeches, etc, does not stop people from reading, listening, etc! It just lets them know what to expect. It lets them remove small children if need be, lets those who might have PTSD or other such issues know if they are at risk, etc.

In short, if you are utterly against the actual definition of trigger warnings (rather than the fake definitions that swirl around the black hole of the internet), I expect that you are also doing your damned hardest to end movie ratings as well.