A Nomad At Heart

A Nomad At Heart

Because my place is not in one geographical location.

871
A Nomad At Heart
Alyssa Eckley

Nomad – A person who does not stay long in the same place; a wanderer.

I am a nomad at heart. I say at heart because physically I am in the same place that I always have been. In fact, I’ve been here far too long. Not that I don’t love long drives through back roads, where the grass is plenty, a shade of green that is more vibrant than even the most beautiful of emeralds. I also won’t deny that I will always enjoy the quiet nights under a sky full of stars. It is peaceful, nonetheless, and the people are friendly for the most part. It just isn’t enough for me. There is just so much more that the world has to offer that I cannot find here. I believe that God blessed me with a free spirit because my place in the world does not fall within one geographical location. I have done a fair amount of traveling in my short span of life and what I have discovered is that there is something so inspirational about the way other people live life. Beyond that, it is incredible to witness how others view life. What I see here, is that this small town is a bubble. Inside of this bubble are people who are all the same, not completely, but the same regardless. A population of card board copies that think the same way, share the same beliefs, and live the same lives. I need more than that. I cannot succumb to the average, mundane routine that comes with this life. I will not live without having experienced the most that I possibly can. I refuse.

I desire the overwhelming rush of a big city, where the idea is to get from point A to point B with no time for horseplay in between. I want to join the crowds of people walking the streets, not acknowledging each other but respecting that we all have some place to be. I want to feel small beside the skyscrapers that employ sharp dressed office workers. There, I will sacrifice my star filled sky for city lights, but only temporarily. I need time to live a fast paced life while I still possess a fast paced mind set, but this will not be my permanent residence. I need to experience the west coast, where I can live momentarily, rather than anticipating the days or weeks ahead. I want to watch the sunrise over the ocean in breath taking hues of pink and orange. I long for sand filled sneakers and windblown hair. I’m prepared to trade my back yard maples and pines for palm trees. There, I will truly be free. However, this will not be my permanent residence either.

To be honest, I don’t know where my permanent residence will be. I have no idea where my wild heart will guide me or where I will end up. I believe that there is more to living than making a living. One needs to experience the best and worst of everything in order to appreciate anything. This is exactly what I aspire to do, but I cannot do so in the confinements of my small town. Therefore, I will roam; I will take on a nomadic lifestyle until I find my place. Until then, any place is my place.