No, You Can't Use My Bathroom

No, You Can't Use My Bathroom

Gender shouldn't determine your bathroom, sex should.

416
No, You Can't Use My Bathroom
Fox 61 // Getty Images

The bathroom is a sacred place for many. For others, it is a destination of hell. Over the last few years, the transgender bathroom debate has swept the nation and reached the highest courts. While many advocate that a person should be allowed to use the bathroom that corresponds to their gender, others argue that a person should use the bathroom that corresponds to their sex.

I am not an LGBTQ expert, and with all the new terms used to classify people I am certainly in the dark as to what many of them entail and to what extent. From my basic understanding, sex is what you are born as (physically) while gender is a societal expectation designated for your sex.

So what is the issue with public restrooms, the place where you only spend a minute or two of your day - if that?

I personally do not care who you are or how you identify. Do your thing. However, being that this is a national issue, I am involved with taking a stance. Like I said, I do not care how you identify. In fact, good for you that you feel comfortable enough to do so. With that being said I do care what bathroom you want to use.

I’m a cisgendered female, and for those who do not know what that means it is basically a term used to define the majority of the population so that the trans community is able to group everyone into categories, as if the majority of the cisgendered population is just another faction of a "gender fluid" nation. I was born female, I identify as a female, and I probably fit into society's standards of what a female should do and look like #sorrynotsorry.

Bear with me.

For those who are transgender - if you are born a male but identify as female I do not feel comfortable with you in my bathroom and vice versa unless you have had a sex change. For starters, the left bashes Republicans constantly for not believing in science, yet the left wants us to understand and believe that you can physically be a male and want to keep your parts but mentally you are the opposite sex?

No, it does not get to work like that. You do not get to force me to conform to what you believe. If that is the case, then next time I decide I am a cat and want to use the litter box as my choice of restroom do not send me to the mental ward.

If you have the sex change then, by all means, come on in. Hell, I will even share my lip gloss. But until then understand that while you want to force the majority of the nation to be comfortable with you and your identity, you have to understand that to a majority of the nation this is foreign territory.

It is difficult to explain to a child that while you may physically be male you feel that you are not and thus get to do as you please so that you are comfortable, completely disregarding that there are millions who do not feel comfortable having someone of the opposite sex using the same bathroom they use.

If you want to be female then have the sex change and enjoy life as a female, but until then stop forcing me to conform to your view of sex and gender. Stop trying to guilt me for not wanting to have a ‘female’ with a male body in the bathroom/locker room/changing room with me.

As for gender fluidity, I am sorry but this term is ridiculous. You are going to try and make me feel bad that I do not want you in my bathroom when you cannot even decide how you want to identify for the day? Absolutely not. I do not understand why gender can be so fluid but something like race cannot be? If I walked around saying I’m black (for the reference, I am white) I would offend a lot of people. And understandably so.

I am not black, nor could I ever be black. But when a man decides he wants to be female we all suddenly have to jump to understanding AND allow them to do as they please? Yeah, no. I firmly believe that if I walk around saying that I am Brianna one day but Mary the next, I have multiple personalities and should seek treatment. But if I'm female for one week but then feel as though I am male the next, it is totally normal.

Again, I want to make it perfectly clear, I have no problem with how you identify. I truly could not care less. In fact, more power to you, because coming out is not a walk in the park.

In fact, I have always been a supporter of the LGBTQ community, because come on, people, #loveislove. And I truly mean that. However, I ask you to understand where I am coming from, that I do take issue with this bathroom debate, especially when it involves the bathroom my little sister or little cousin is using.

I do not know what to call this trend of gender fluidity, but I know this - until your sex matches the sign on the bathroom please use a different restroom. While using a bathroom that does not correspond to your identity may make you uncomfortable, imagine how uncomfortable everyone else feels when you make us conform to how you think.