No, That Is Not What My Major Is

No, That Is Not What My Major Is

Please just give words of encouragement, if you aren't sure what it entails.

19
No, That Is Not What My Major Is

Being a journalism major has it’s high and low points, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world. I love writing, and I love getting to write about topics that I care about and that interest me. I also love getting to interview people and find out what they are up to.

Since transferring from a local Community college to a four-year university, many people have asked me what my major is and make comments on it.

I’ve had so many people say to me, “Oh that’s great, you love reading!” and I literally look at them like, ‘Yes, I do, but what does that have to do with what I’m going to school for?’

Others have asked me what story ideas I have when I write my books. Again, writing a book would be awesome, but that is not in my job description.

When I ask others what their major are I either tell them that their choice is awesome, and I wish them luck in their field or if it is a major that I don’t know what it entails, I ASK them.

All it takes it one simple question of “Oh, that sounds interesting. What is your major exactly?” I would much rather explain to someone what I am studying than have them comment on my major and have it be totally wrong. That just gets me mad and insults the entire major.

I’ve also had many people tell me that ‘Journalism is a dying field and that I am not going to find a job because no one reads newspapers anymore.’

Oh my God. That makes my blood crawl. The field of journalism is so much more than just newspapers. It is news anchors and reporters, magazine editors, blog writers, red carpet reporters, sports reporters, radio hosts, photojournalists, and so much more.

By the way, there are ONLINE newspapers and magazines that people read everyday. With the way technology is growing, this field will have more openings in the future.

And you know what? I may NOT get a job in what I majored in, but that is none of your business. Do you know how many people out there have college degrees and aren’t working in their field?

I love my major, and I LOVE being able to voice my opinion. It may not make me a lot of money, but I am passionate about it, and I will enjoy going to work every day.

So, please, before you comment on someone’s major, ask them what it is about or just give words of encouragement, because more than likely you aren’t working at a job that you went to college for.

No one is perfect, and job fields change every day with the rapid technology we have, but please don’t discredit someone’s major. They are working night and day to succeed in their major and we would like some support and encouragement, even if you are not sure what the job entails.

Thank you,

From a budding journalist who gets asked this daily