No One Told You Life Was Gonna be This Way

Your Life in Your Early Twenties Told by the Cast of Friends

482
vulture

n we were younger we couldn’t wait to grow up. We thought life would be so much better once we too were adults who had responsibilities and all of that crap we thought would be fun. We felt that same way about what life would be like after college. We would have so much more freedom and so much less work to do. Oh how wrong we were. I haven’t had a day off in three weeks and it’ll be another two weeks before I actually get one. I would like to take a moment to apologize to all the naps I never took, I miss you. I would also like to point out that adults are probably so tired because every nap we didn’t take as children came back to haunt us.

If there is one show that I feel will describe my life in my 20’s the best it is Friends. I remember this show being on when I was younger; and when it first came out on Netflix I watched all ten seasons in two weeks. And I’m only a little embarrassed to admit that. So without further ado I’m gonna let the cast of friends explain what it’s like to be in your early 20’s.

1. You Have To Figure Out How To Support Yourself

We are all tricked into thinking that it will be easy to find a job after we graduate college but the truth is we all end up back in our parents house because we don't even know how to do our own laundry.

2. You Discover The Beauty of Being Left Alone

Hanging out with the people you love is all fun and games but there is a certain comfort that comes along with having a night to yourself doing whatever it is that makes you happy.

3. But at the Same Time You’d Rather Be With Your Friends

I can honestly say that even in times when I have wanted to be alone I have chosen to interact with my friends simply because it only takes me a few moments with them to forget why I ever wanted to be alone.

4. You Realize You are Now a Fully Evolved Adult

I don't think I can personally claim that I am at a very high level of adulthood. And I really don't think a lot of people in their early twenties can either. People think that they are going to grow up so fast but I think that we all deserve the time to still make stupid mistakes and act childish before we don't have the motor skills to do so.

Seriously though...

5. Your Love Life Could Use a Tune Up

The theme song to this show said it all. Although I don't think my love life could be D.O.A if it never had a pulse to begin with right?

6. All of Your Friends are Getting Married and You’re Just Like…

7. You Think About How You Wanted to be Married and Have Kids By 23 and Laugh

I'm almost 23 and I haven't even moved out of my parents home yet.

8. College is Way Less Helpful When it Comes To Preparing You For Life Than You Thought it Would Be.

I have no idea how to do my taxes but I know that in Japan people are known to commit suicide due to depression from not being successful enough in their economy and I highly identify with that.

9. You Begin to Lose that Last Shred of Hope for Humanity Sometimes

Something they don't teach you in school is that when you finally go out into the adult world you are going to realize that nobody changes and everyone still sucks regardless of how old they get.

10. You Realize that Even Though You are All in Your Twenties, You and Your Friends Will Always be Kids at Heart.