I Hope My Kids Never "Come Out"

I Hope My Kids Never "Come Out"

21
I Hope My Kids Never "Come Out"

My future son or daughter will never feel the need to "come out" to me. My future son or daughter will be able to marry two Kens or two Barbies. My future son or daughter will be free to express and explore his/her sexuality without the stigma and fear associated with homosexuality. Because the idea of "coming out" implies being trapped. Because your sexuality shouldn't be something you have to hide in a closet until you're ready to express it. Because I would never cause my son or daughter the stress and trauma of that dreaded revelation. Because it is inconceivable that you have to tell people of your sexuality in order to be yourself. Because no one should have to come out.

Out of all our messed-up coming-of-age rituals and screwed-up ideas, coming out of the closet takes the cake. What a homophobic and bigoted concept! No heterosexual kid feels the need to inform his parents of his sexuality, because they are given the comfort that their parents will automatically accept it, that they will love them no matter what, that they are assumed to be straight. Why do we live in a society that judges you as heterosexual until proven otherwise? Why is being straight not "just a phase?" Why do we insist on trapping gay kids in a closet, where they feel confused, helpless and inferior?

Because homosexuals don't make the rules. Because the majority is comfortable in their sexuality and giving their kids absolute freedom to choose theirs is an inconceivable idea. Because we have an unlimited affinity for ignorance and prejudice.

I hope my son feels free to tell me that another boy is cute, without feeling like I'll make it a "thing." I hope my daughter can go out on a date with another girl, knowing that I won't automatically trap her in a label. I hope they can be themselves the second they know what that means, that they can explore everything out there without having to hide it from me. I honestly hope my kids never "come out" to me, because I will love them too much for that.