New Jersey Dog Lovers Unite and Kill NJ's Quick Kill Bill

Protecting pets from cruel, unnecessary euthanization one demand at a time

17
nj.com

Last week news circulated about plans for two bills which would overturn New Jersey's seven-day owner surrender protection period. The bills would allow regressive animal shelters and pounds to euthanize animals based on age, health or bad behavior surrendered by its owner immediately. Once animal lovers discovered information about these bills, they took action.

This bill could have potentially killed thousands of New Jersey pets each year. I don't know about you, but I cannot imagine my life without my dogs. Life would be drastically different, and much sadder, without pets. Pets are therapeutic, loving, supportive, funny, and unique family members. They are not belongings that serve no purpose in this world. Pets are not replaceable; they are living beings who leave a mark on your life. Too many people take pets for granted. Killing our pets is not acceptable.

The post embedded below by NJ Animal Observer quickly spread the message about the sponsored bill and gained attraction with over 900 shares and thousands of post views. Emotions came out and action was taken. Local state senators were called and demanded to vote against S2846 and S2847.

[facebook https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpermalink.php%3Fstory_fbid%3D1240970829284275%26id%3D615854605129237%26substory_index%3D0&width=500 expand=1]

Within five days, after many requests and demands, Senator Raymond Lesniak stepped up and proposed an amendment to eliminate the controversial provisions from the bill. The bill's sponsor, Senator Steve Sweeney, agreed and stated he would make this change to the bill.

Great job and a huge thank you to every animal lover and activist who called and spoke up for our pets who do not have the voice to do so. Thank you to Senator Raymond J. Lesniak for your quick action. Let's continue to work hard to give each animal a loving home because after all, humans aren't the real rescuers. Animals rescue us with their admiration, affection, and appreciation.