18 Activities To Add To Your NJ Summer Bucket List

Who said New Jersey was a boring state?

176
ATSI Rehab

If you're like me, then summer is lowkey boring because you can rarely find something to do. To be completely honest, my Instagram suffers because all I do is post throwbacks. When thinking about fun stuff to do in New Jersey, very few things instantly come to mind: visiting a Jersey shore beach and/or boardwalk, Six Flags, or a trip to the city. While yes, these ideas are lit and serve as great go-to activities, the fact of the matter is that there's actually a lot of things to do in NJ that are different from the norm. To others, the three things I mentioned may sound heavenly and they may be judging me for saying that this state can be boring. But sometimes, I just can't afford to drop $60 on a ticket to Six Flags or am still getting over that really bad sunburn from the last time I went to Belmar. I swear, if someone tells me, "You live next to the city, you should never be bored!" one more time, I might explode. So, I decided to do a little research on the good old Garden State, and I was really impressed with what I found.

In reality, there's more to New Jersey life than the same two trails you've been hiking or spending your day on the boardwalk. Depending on where you're from (North, South, and, for the sake of not causing a war, Central), some of these places are household names, while others are hidden gems. In this state, the world is your oyster. Regardless of the reason for needing plans, this list will have something for you. This is proof that New Jersey is the best state ever. Take a look to see which you've done and which sound like a great way to spend an afternoon.

1. Princeton Art Museum (Princeton, NJ)

With no set admission price, just a request for donation, this site is great for all people who are in a particularly artsy mood. From Ancient to Modern art, there is bound to be an exhibit that appeals to you. While most are permanent exhibits, there are some temporary ones that are really unique. On top of that, it is a really short walk to Nassau Street, where you can eat and shop.

2. Cape May Park and Zoo (Cape May Court House, NJ)

Another technically free place to visit, this zoo is home to over 500 cute little (or really big) animals that make the visit worthwhile. I mean, they have an African Savannah; how cool is that? Some of the animals can be fed as well, which kind of grosses me out, but I know people who find that to be the best part of visiting zoos or farms. Other exhibits include the Aviary and the Diversity Pathway, which I heard was unbelievable. Also, it's located in a bigger park with other stuff to do, like picnics and trails.

3. Rutgers Gardens (New Brunswick, NJ)

Open year round, the gardens here provide a wide range of many types of plants with countless origins. Besides being able to explore the beautiful 50 acre grounds, there's a farmer's market every Friday, as well as various classes and events offered throughout the year. Bonus: the Frank G. Helyar Woods are right next to the Gardens, with trails that will only curb your crave to explore even more.

4. Tenafly Nature Center (Tenafly, NJ)

If you're looking for a change of scenery or a new hiking trail, this could be the place for you. It has over 400 acres of land to hike or run, with tons of animals and plants around. Also, there's some streams and a pond, making the area breathtaking. The visitor center is pretty cool too, with live animals frolicking around. Basically, if you want to be one with nature, this place is where it's going to happen.

5. Land of Make Believe (Hope, NJ)

While, yes, it is intended for children, this amusement park is ideal for people who are not into thrill rides. It's relatively cheap, and the price includes admission to the water park also on site. I've been to the water park, and they actually have pretty fun rides. They're not all intended for children, despite the name of the park, and some were actually pretty intense.

6. iPlay America (Freehold, NJ)

iPlay America is honestly a great time with so much to do, like laser tag and go karts. Also included is an indoor boardwalk and an arcade, so the possibilities are endless. They also have tons of food options, which are also not half bad. There's something for everyone, so the whole squad will remain entertained throughout the day. It's all indoors, too, so it's the place to go to on a rainy day or a chilly night (it's open late!).

7. Zoom Ziplines (Vernon, NJ)

If you're feeling like a little adventure could be good, take a ride on one of these ziplines. It's one of many fun things to do in the area, with a bike park and water park available in the summer and a ski resort in the winter. The lengths range from 200 feet to 1500 feet, so you don't have to go all out right away, especially if you're a little scared (like I was). The views are amazing, though, so it was worth conquering my fear of heights. It's a two hour tour, too, so you're really getting what you pay for.

8. Liberty Science Center (Jersey City, NJ)

Let's face it: science is pretty cool. Even though, yes, I hated chemistry with a passion, it's cool to see all of the experiments and to make magic happen. The center has several different exhibits that are both educational and a lot of fun, like a communications exhibit that shows the endless ways humans communicate with each other. Although most of us haven't been there since we were little, I think it may be time to revisit.

9. Adventure Aquarium (Camden, NJ)

This aquarium is a standout from all the others, with a sick Hammerhead shark exhibit and hippos. With tons of species, there's a new experience around every corner. They even have touch pools for you to pet different animals, including sharks. On top of that, there are daily shows available, featuring precious pint-size penguins.

10. Coco Key Water Resort (Mount Laurel, NJ)

Did you know we have an indoor water park in New Jersey? Because I definitely did not. They have tons of water slides for thrill seekers, as well as a lazy river for those who like to chill. The arcade has tons of games both new and old, so there's something to do if you need a break from splashing around. The price is also fairly reasonable, and you don't have to stay in the resort to enjoy the park.

11. Turtle Back Zoo (West Orange, NJ)

Again, cute little animals make a zoo a great place to go to, and this is another gem in Jersey. It's not too big, yet still has over 800 animals for you to look at. They have an awesome giraffe exhibit and a petting zoo; you can even pet a stingray. What makes this zoo different from others is that there's an action park right next to it as well as a pond where you can rent paddle boats. If you go on a weekend, the mini golf course is open, too.

12. Historic Smithville (Smithville, NJ)

Smithville is a little town that is home to an American Revolution battle, and that town has been preserved for you to visit. It appeals to history buffs such as myself because of the background, but it has tons of shops offering a very wide range of goods for everyone to enjoy. It's great for a day trip, but they have inns for you to stay the night. There's also a small lake where you can rent paddle boats or just sit back and enjoy the view.

13. Keansburg (Keansburg, NJ)

Like many people, I'm balling on a budget, so Six Flags isn't always an option for me (I still love you Six Flags, sorry). There's an amusement park, a water park, an arcade, games, and even a fishing pier. Plus, it's not that crowded, so it could be a great weekday adventure. It has a carnival kind of feel more than anything, and the water park has some pretty fun slides. It also has a boardwalk and beach right there, so if it's not your thing, you can still get a nice tan.

14. Liberty State Park (Jersey City, NJ)

The park has a picture perfect view of the New York City skyline, with a touching 9/11 memorial present. They have a walkway on the water for walking or biking, and grills around for a barbecue. There is a ferry service to both the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, as well as the CRRNJ Station, which makes the history major in me very happy. The park is huge, so you can easily spend hours exploring what it has to offer.

15. Slack Tide Brewery (Clermont, NJ)

Don't think I forgot about you, my 21 and fun pals. While New Jersey is home to many breweries and vineyards, Slack Tide is a newer one worth the drive (assuming you're from North Jersey like me). I've heard the beer is top-notch, but I'm 19 so I can't vouch for it myself. The owners strive to make people feel at home, so the atmosphere is warm and friendly. It's a small brewery, so you have the chance to taste all of the beers without spending too much time.

16. Mangia Hoboken (Hoboken, NJ)

Hoboken is famous for so many things: being home to the bakery with the hit TV show, the waterfront, the night life, and most importantly, the food. They have some truly remarkable places to eat, from a cave style cafe to pizza slices the size of your head. So, what could be better than to take a food tour here? There are several stops, and on each stop you get a little slice of what Hoboken has to offer. Admittedly, it's one of the pricier options, but it's cheaper than many tours I've seen, and you get a lot out of it, like a stop at Frank Sinatra's house.

17. Greenwood Gardens (Short Hills, NJ)

This is one of the places that I would consider to be a hidden gem in New Jersey. A lot of people don't know about these quiet, pretty gardens with tons of sculptures accenting the lush gardens, making the visit there a peaceful one. The architecture is impressive, too. You can easily spend hours looking around and getting lost in the beauty of the gardens, mind blown that it's not a much bigger tourist attraction.

18. Twin Lights Historic Site (Highlands, NJ)

New Jersey is home to many incredible lighthouses (recommending a trip to the Barnegat Lighthouse), but this one is kind of like a package deal. Two is better than one, right? The two lighthouses are linked, and the building now serves as a small museum for people to enjoy. The views are to die far, and they are not too difficult to climb, so the lazy person in me is willing to make the trek to the top. Definitely make it a pit stop the next time you're at the beach for the day.

You're welcome, fellow New Jerseyans.