The Empowering Nike Ad That Has Inspired Women Everywhere

How the Nike ad helps to change the way women are viewed in American society

287
upload.wikimedia
Wikimedia

This past weekend Nike released an extremely powerful advertisement. Nike has taken advantage of their power this year and has used its advertisements to promote specific social issues that are affecting our society. In late 2018 they released their controversial ad using the face of Colin Kaepernick, in regards to his movement of kneeling during the singing of the national anthem.

They have now just come out with an ad that empowers women, an inspiring piece for the feminist movement. The visuals of women completing amazing tasks in the athletic world are accompanied by a voiceover that portrays such an important message.

It talks about all of the double standards that women are up against, when "we show emotion we are dramatic. If we want to play against men, we're nuts. And if we dream of equal opportunity we are delusional." This powerful beginning captures the attention of women across America who can relate to these statements.

As women, there are so many things we do that when men do them it is inspiring, and driven, but when we try to complete these actions it is perceived differently. Society finds a way to portray a women's drive as a negative thing and to put down all women who are successful and have accomplished great things.

As women, we often are afraid to use our voices because we worry about what the reaction will be and what backlash we will receive. Even when we are confident in what we have to say, we are aware that we can be criticized just because people want to find a way to put women down.

There are many advertisements that exist that work to get people excited, motivate people, interest people in some sort of competition. These ads typically involve men, men's sports, men's victories, and they put into the minds of people that these successes are exclusively for men. This Nike ad gives something for women to relate to, something to achieve to be.

It opens people up to the idea that women may not be crazy, that we have completed things that once were thought of as impossible for a woman, and that we can continue to break down barriers. Nothing we want to do should be considered intangible for a woman, and this ad is unique is giving that view to girls and women across America.

Hopefully, this advertisement will be able to inspire future marketers to continue portraying women in such a powerful way, and we will be able to see the changes necessary to our society begin to take place.