News Flash: News Media Is An Invaluable Part Of Everyday Life

Extra, extra read all about it!

31

Extra, extra, read all about it. Each day, sometimes unknowingly, the news media is impacting everyday life. The news dictates whether we bring an umbrella with us, take a different route to work, and even how we choose which candidates we want to vote for in elections. The news media plays an integral part in our everyday lives by creating and shaping public opinion, spreading awareness, and impacting democracy by keeping us politically informed.

The news has immense power over its viewers and readers, but with this great power comes great responsibility, that so many people don’t realize the news actually does acknowledge.

While some are fearful that news sources aren’t credible, there are enough news sources accessible to ensure that you get the truth. It is the responsibility as the source of information for the media, to be honest, but it is equally the responsibility of the viewer to realize bias within news sources and find the truth somewhere in the middle.

Obviously, with the news being a main source of information, they mold public opinion. News coverage of people, places, products, and more influences how we view these things, thus making the news play a major role in our lives.

As for those who try to dissociate themselves with current events or the news, for whatever reason, it has become nearly unavoidable with the advancement of technology. With the touch of a button, the world is at your fingertips, and there are ample ways to receive your news whether it be through tangible papers, television, or even social media. The news impacts everyone.

With the importance of the news being so prevalent, we as citizens need to take advantage of all that it offers. By following local, national, and even international news we not only broaden our own horizons, we are capable of interacting and understanding a greater audience.

While many are skeptical of the news due to concern about bias or hidden agendas, the news is actually quite useful, as it spreads awareness about important topics. Whether it is something as simple as reporting on inclement weather or something as controversial as debates over gun control, the news reports on what is impacting each of us on a personal, local, state, nation, and sometimes world scale.

Beyond just the more obvious impacts the news has on us, the news impacts democracy in our nation because through it we become either informed or uninformed on current events, particularly politics.

Talk of the media and its impacts were especially popular during the 2016 election. During this election cycle, every news source from papers, to television, to social media were offering coverage. Deciding whether or not to follow this election was the choice of the individual, but this choice goes far beyond what one might think.

Choosing to be an informed or uninformed citizen and then making the choice to vote has immense impacts on democracy because your uninformed vote could potentially impact the future of your country. A lack of news literacy causes a lack of civic literacy. Uninformed citizens really are a danger to democracy and to society.

By being aware of how greatly we are impacted by the media, we can make more of a conscious choice to use the resources offered by the media and learn about current events in our nation.

Now back to you.