The Newly Adopted Perks of Airport Travel

10

The holiday season is the busiest time for air travel. When people discuss air travel, they often gripe about small seats and the lack of amenities on airplanes. In years past, airplanes have been equipped with televisions and better complimentary snack options, but newer planes are being manufactured with little to no amenities. Customers are now encouraged to pay outrageous prices for wireless internet where they have the ability to pay to stream movies to their smartphones, the once-free snacks come with a hearty price tag or have been eliminated all together.

Perhaps the airline industry has decided to make up for its short falls with an increase in airport amenities. As the number of travelers has increased, airports have been forced to develop. Today, airport terminals are beginning to better resemble shopping malls rather than grimy terminals with the occasional McDonalds, newspaper stand, and the sketchy off-brand restaurant one would never find outside security. The airports we traverse today contain luxuries that were not afforded to travelers in the past. At the Minneapolis Airport, a live pianist entertains travelers as they wait to collect their luggage at baggage claim. The Orlando International Airport, like many airports across the United States has express spas where passengers can enjoy chair massages and other treatments while they wait for their flights. When we travel, we often forget essential travel items. Airport shops now sell everything from earbuds, neck pillows, medication, and commemorative clothing. Even if you never left the airport, you could still purchase a shirt and trick people into believing you went to a particular state.

We are attached to our technology more than we ever have, and when it dies, the world as we know it is ending. More and more airports have placed charging stations in the seats of waiting areas at gates. Now, electronic devices will be fully functional during a person’s travels.