Interesting New Year's Traditions

Interesting New Year's Traditions

39
Interesting New Year's Traditions

The typical way of celebrating New Year's is going out with friends and drinking — a lot. But there are some New Year's celebrations that seem to have died down in the past decade or so. Everyone knows about the New Year's tradition of a kiss. A kiss to end the last year with and a kiss to start the new year off with. A good luck recipe. But there are others which haven't quite made international popularity. 

In Ireland, it is tradition for women to place mistletoe leaves under their pillows to get a good husband and to keep away bad luck in the new year. 

In Scotland, there is a custom where people dress up in traditional clothing and parade down the main streets swinging giant balls of fire above their heads. 

In Turkey, it is a common belief that wearing red underwear on New Year's Eve and through the night will bring you good luck in your love life and to your loved ones. 

In Ecuador, there is a tradition for those who long to travel. If you empty out your suitcase and take it for a walk around the block or neighborhood on New Year's day, you will have good luck in travel for the next year.

In the Philippines, people follow the tradition of round. If you wear polka dots, or eat round fruit, you will have good luck in the New Year. Many women wear polka dot dresses. It is also believed to bring good financial fortune.

In Russia, there is a tradition of burning your wish to help it come true. You write your wish on a piece of paper and light it on fire. You then drop the burning piece into the champagne you're drinking and drink it all before the minute of midnight is done. This way, your wish will come true.

In Spain, there is a tradition of eating grapes. Usually people end up having their mouths full of grapes, eating 12 for each chime of the clock as they count down to the new year. 

In South Africa, and sometimes in Italy as well, there is a very unique tradition of throwing old furniture out of the window, which symbolizes starting the new year fresh. Of course they clean it up later, starting spring cleaning earlier.