5 New Year's Resolutions Worth Making

5 New Year's Resolutions Worth Making

None of us are actually going to workout all year

35
5 New Year's Resolutions Worth Making

New Year's resolutions are becoming a thing of the past. Every year people announce their resolutions in the first week of January to eat healthier and workout more. By the end of the month, everyone is normally announcing their failure to follow through with their resolutions. Perhaps the problem, then, is not to throw out New Year's resolutions, but rather to make some resolutions that truly are going to better your life and you can actually follow through with. Here's my list of resolutions that might actually be worth it this 2017.

1. Say "No" More Often...

...and not feel bad about it.

It's no secret some of us spread ourselves too thin. People ask us for favors and even though we don't want to help or can't help, we tell them yes anyway. This year, learn to tell people no. Learn to be there for yourself first. Learn to not tear yourself apart just to please others.

2. Stick to Your Word

When you do tell people yes this year, follow through with whatever you've told them you'd do. If you make plans with someone but by the time the weekend rolls around you're just not feeling being sociable, go anyway. Don't disappoint them and don't miss out on having a fun time. Learn to force yourself to have fun every now and then.Sometimes it turns out better than you thought.

3. Let People Help You

We aren't able to do everything on our own. We're going to struggle or get stuck and really need help from somebody else. This year, don't be afraid to just ask someone to help. If someone offers you their help, accept it. Even if you don't think you need their help, accept it anyway. They feel better, you don't have to turn them down, and you get to spend some extra time with them. Even if you didn't need the help, the help will still make your situation easier.

4. Read More Books

This is a good resolution because it's hard to fail. Even if you don't start reading until July, you're still reading and fulfilling your resolution. Read the books that have been on your shelves for years. Read new books. Borrow your friends' books.

5. Stop Comparing Yourself

Once you learn that people are supposed to be different, people can be pretty in different ways, and people can be talented in different ways, you're going to feel better about yourself. Different people and a different number of people are going to like you and the people you know. Just because you don't feel like you're doing as well as someone else doens't mean you aren't doing well.