Stop making resolutions and start making goals please.
Wellbeing

Stop Making Resolutions and Start Making Goals

Turn your "I want's" into "I will's."

70
https://www.pexels.com/photo/white-paper-with-note-669986/

Hello 2019! I'm writing this on January 8th, meaning I have had eight days to work on my New Year's resolutions. However, here's the thing: I did not make any resolutions this year. Ever since I've turned 13, I've had the same two resolutions: Put myself first and become healthier. I can safely say that six years later, those things have happened... but not because of "the magic" of the new year. Instead, I have achieved them because I turned them into goals.

Don't get me wrong; I think new year resolutions are fantastic. I believe that people should have goals in life and be motivated to work towards something, and the start of a new year is a great time to re-evaluate your life and get things going. However, most new year resolutions are simply just wishes or aspirations that people have. Usually, there are no steps or a plan involved. Goals have those things. They involve making changes to your life, thinking about the next step, and checking your progress on a regular schedule. Wishes and aspirations are statements that lead to creating goals, and that is where most people give up.

This year, instead of creating a resolution, I sat down and thought about what I wanted to achieve during my lifetime. I thought about places I wanted to visit, things I wanted to experience, and people I want to talk to. I splurged it all onto a word document before organizing it into a list, specifically a bucket list. My list has 25 things on it, ranging from getting a tattoo to attending Mardi Gras in New Orleans to visiting each of the 50 states. At the time, my list was just an aspiration, and part of it still is. However, some things I have steps in mind for and am planning to cross off my list, meaning parts of my list are goals that I am trying to achieve.

If you're reading this and are one of the many people who made a resolution this year, do not fret! Instead, sit down and turn your wish into a goal. Create a plan. Break it down into steps. Figure out a time where you can monitor your progress. Do not expect the new year to magically help you into achieving what you want. Take some initiative and get it yourself. You can do it!