As This Summer Winds Down, Here Are 4 Skills To Take On In August

Late summer break is the best time to hone in on your productivity, and perfect your creativity.

7
Jessica Shih

I'm just as sad as you are that summer's already making its steady way to its final dog days, but that doesn't mean we should fall into that end-of-the-season rut. Provided below are ways to prevent that from happening through picking up a few new tips and tricks.

1. Give in-depth tarot card readings.

Jessica Shih

Don't let this 78-card deck daunt you: Remembering what each of the cards' images signify doesn't take much more than intuitive understanding. For example, the presence of The Sword throughout the cards indicates strength, whether it be physical, emotional or mental. But ultimately, the way in which you can interpret tarot cards is to your discretion because the way you perceive them is based off of your own experiences and intuition. After all, the craft's unique and personalized outlook is what attracts people to tarot card readings, and to become tarot card readers themselves.

2. Fold intricate origami models.

Jessica Shih

Origami looks more complex than it really is, but just as elegant as it appears. Understanding the basis of each model—namely, the symbolism behind, say, the crane, along with the meaning behind each fold made to form that crane—is beneficial in gaining greater appreciation for this traditional Japanese paper craft. However, just folding a model just for the sake of folding is also enough.

3. Play your heart out with a ukulele.

Jessica Shih

The ukulele is one of the quickest and easiest instruments to learn. Its melodic sound embodies how summer feels: everything that's sweet, warm and good. Handstruming timeless classics like "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" and "Can't Help Falling In Love" makes the world all a dream.

4. Read everything (and I mean everything).

Jessica Shih

By this, I mean getting your hands on whatever reading material you can get your hands—and feast your eyes—on. Whether that be a biography on technological innovator Steve Jobs or an opinion article on the best food trend of this summer, there is a wealth of information out there for you to learn, and an innumerable amount of topics to explore. Even if the subject isn't one of which intrigues you initially, skim it over anyways. You might just learn something new, both about the topic at hand, as well as about yourself and where your interests lie.