An Open Letter To High School Seniors

An Open Letter To High School Seniors

Senior year will pass you by if you let it.

26
An Open Letter To High School Seniors
Jackson County Highschool Facebook Page

To every high school senior wanting school to end,

It's only a couple days into the new school year and you're already falling apart — trust me, I've been there. Like how in the world will you survive a whole year of calculus? Just an FYI, a school year isn't really a year. But I get it.

School is demanding on every student, everywhere. Regardless of if your ambition is valedictorian or surviving, because I know all about surviving. I was in your spot once; high-school is hard. Anyone who tells you differently is lying and people WILL lie.

Senior year is your year. It's supposed to be the best year of your life, but what happens when it isn't? This article was written for students like you!

When you feel like the whole world hates you

Know that they don't. I think this was my biggest obstacle my senior year. Someone great once said “sometimes I want people to like me more than I want to change the world,” that was my life philosophy my senior year. Getting over the fact that not everyone has to like you was probably one of my greatest accomplishments. I missed out on our senior prank because I cried in the parking lot because I didn't have friends. I missed out on a great opportunity because I was too afraid of being alone. DO NOT BE AFRAID OF BEING ALONE.

Don't skip school

I repeat, DO NOT skip school. I know senior year is literally just sitting in a classroom all day not really doing anything, but that isn't an invitation to skip school. I missed over 20 days my senior year and I regret it. BUT how are you going to live without that fruit smoothie from DQ or one more hour of sleep because your first class doesn't really matter anyway? You just are. Don't miss out on making some of the best memories because you wanted an extra hour of sleep. Sleep isn't going to help you in the long run. Some of my fondest memories of high-school were made my senior year.

It's okay to be stressed out

This year is one of the most stressful times in your life. This is the year that you pick which college, if any you want to attend, decide your whole future, and still try and maintain a decent amount of sleep each night. From college essays, to job applications, to FAFSA deadline, and everything in between, I know you'll struggle to breathe. Who wouldn't be stressed out when they're being told to decide the next 60 years of their life when they're barely old enough to vote? If anyone knows about hating school it's me, the last line of my last English essay was "I'm a mess." Trust me when I say that it isn't always hell like you think. My advice to you is to LITERALLY buy a whole tub of Ben&Jerry's ice cream when you're planning your college applications, it'll save you some hassle, because come on now who could be sad with a tub of ice cream?

Have fun

I know this is the make or break point in your life but you honestly just need to let go a little. This is the last year before the rest of your life. Don't let it slap you in the face. Have fun. Do something you've never done before or 10 things you've never done before. Life is only as exciting as you make it. Soak up your senior year instead of wallowing in self pity. Do yourself a favor and go out as much as possible EVEN ON A SCHOOL NIGHT.

Senior year will pass you by if you let it. Hell it will pass you by a thousand times faster than you think it will. Don't waste your senior year by hating every minute of it Getting your first college acceptance letter is almost as satisfying as getting your diploma. Pablo Picasso once said “Action is the foundational key to all success,” so get going.