Why I Hope Things Don't Go Back To The Way They Were

To Everyone Who 'Can't Wait To Get Back To Normal', I Hope Things Don't Go Back To The Way They Were

What will the world look like once this is all over?

359

The phrase "back to normal" has been thrown around a lot lately — almost as much as the phrase "new normal."

How do these phrases make you feel? Do they trigger anxiety? Fear? Frustration?

The country is starting to slowly reopen via a phased plan, but will things ever go back to the way they were before this pandemic?

Honestly, I have no idea what to feel or expect at this point.

There are a lot of things I'm looking forward to. For example, hugging my people and going back to campus in the Fall (Lord willing).

However, in some ways, I hope things don't go back to normal.

Before COVID-19, my life was so busy. I know this is the case for most other people, as well.

The pace of life has since slowed way down.

At first, I didn't know what to do with all the extra time. It felt wrong to just sit.

Then, I started finding new ways to enjoy this time. For instance, I started spending more time outside and going for walks. I also started reading for fun — something I haven't been able to do for years!

Additionally, during this season of life, the Lord has been teaching me so much.

It's been very humbling.

In the midst of all this chaos, the Lord has emphasized the importance of being still before Him and being present each day.

He has peeled back the veil and shown me that any control I thought I had over my life was merely an illusion.

So, in many ways, I hope things don't go back to normal.

I hope I don't forget to slow down — to take the time to go on a walk or read a book. I hope I don't forget to be present in each moment and be still before the Lord. Most of all, I hope I don't forget that the Lord is in control, not me.