The "New" Journalism

The "New" Journalism

Have you ever heard someone refer to Journalism as being “dead”? I know I have.

10
The "New" Journalism

As a Journalism student, I am constantly being questioned by, well, lets just call them the “technologically challenged — I don’t even know how to google and get your phone out of your face — type pessimists” about why in the world would I choose to spend my four years of college education on a journalism degree when newspapers have no future. That is right, no future.

And they are right.

I mean, who would benefit in being able to access any and all news productions at the touch of a button when they could simply walk five blocks down the street to a news stand. There they can insert the quarters (that they forget on the kitchen counter) into a machine that does not even work, and even if it does, only to get black ink all over their sweaty hands. Or better yet, wait all morning until your daily paper is delivered (in your bushes of course) and drag its soggy, morning dew-stained self inside. 

But I mean, the hassle of having to search for exactly what you are looking for, lets say a live stream on a current and local news story, and having it available to you right at your finger tips in a matter of seconds is just not efficient at all, right?  Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, you are also accessing this story while lounging by the pool in the Bahamas with your toes snuggled in the warm sand and a Mai Tai is on its way to you from the hotel bar. *DING* Yahoo! News just alerted you of a recent update in the story, but who even cares … I am sure you will hear about it 12 hours later in tomorrow’s morning paper.

At this point, I’m hoping the irony in the above example makes you want to rip your hair out as much as I do.

I consider myself to be a fairly reasonable person. What I cannot condone, however, is the group of radical just say no to social media groups who present no reasonable argument against — in my opinion — the best innovation of modern times: the internet and social media outlets used for news.

Although I do believe that journalists should respect and preserve the qualities of their natural roots, I cannot see any disadvantage to evolving to a more multimedia inspired world when it comes to news.

I was inspired to post about this topic while reading a Nieman Report about how universities are developing a larger emphasis on multimedia curriculum in their journalism programs. The post expresses that with the transition to online news being so prominent in todays society, it is essential to offer classes in multimedia. I, as a student, have already reaped the benefits of the multimedia courses that have been offered to me. With confidence in presenting my work — visually online — I am able to further my networking to not only my local city but anywhere in the world. As only a student, my work can be seen online to anyone who searches my name. The possibilities of hearing ideas, stories and news from so many different outlets and people is fascinating and is something that should be embraced by everyone.

My point in saying all of this is, journalism is far from dead; although it is changing. News can only benefit by reaching the masses of online news and social media. To those skeptics, I appreciate your preservation of the basic body of news, but that body is growing and it's growing fast. And when it's used in the right ways, it's impacts on our world are endless.