Illuminations Might Be Leaving, But Here Are 8 Things Coming To Epcot Instead

And hold on to your hats, cause there's a lot going on!

18

The D23 2019 Expo held a lot of news from the Walt Disney Company, as it does every year. But this year's expo especially revealed a lot of news for the upcoming changes coming to Walt Disney World's Epcot.

Since it's opening in 1982, Epcot has strived to live up to its acronym of the Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow. However, is blatant 1980s design has only served to date the futuristic park making it seem like an episode of "Startrek" rather than a travel into the future. In an attempt to revamp the struggling park-- which is seemly dead in between World Showcase festivals— Disney Imagineers are working to completely remodel the park to make it more timeless.

1.  Nighttime spectacular.

DisneyParks Blog

As we all know, "Illuminations: Reflections of Earth," Epcot's nighttime fireworks show, is coming to an end on September 30th, 2019. But in its place is a new nighttime spectacular (which Disney claims will be the largest nighttime spectacular ever created for a Disney park), "HarmonioUS," will pave the way for all the new revisions coming to Epcot throughout 2020 and the coming years. ("Epcot Forever" will have it's temporary run from October 1st through the end of the year.)

2.  Neighborhoods.

DisneyParks Blog

The first of these changes, is the introduction of the "neighborhoods" of Epcot. Instead of Future World and the World Showcase we know now, new area names will be taking its place; including World Discovery, World Celebration, and World Nature that ties in with the World Showcase— which will be keeping its original name.

3.  World Showcase updates.

DisneyParks Blog

In the World Showcase, the United Kingdom pavilion will welcome the first ever attraction inspired by "Mary Poppins" with an addition of Cherry Tree Lane and the Banks family's home. The France pavilion will welcome the much-anticipated attraction, "Remy's Ratatouille Adventure," where guests will shrink to the size of Remy and wonder about Gusteau's restaurant. France will also welcome a new restaurant, La Crêperie de Paris, which will offer both table service and quick service options from a menu created by celebrity chef Jérôme Bocuse. The classic "Impressions de France" film will be joined by the new "Beauty and the Beast Sing-Along," debuting in January 2020— which was directed by Don Hahn, producer of both the animated and live-action versions of the film.

4.  World Celebration.

DisneyParks Blog

In World Celebration, Spaceship Earth will get a remodel with new narration and an entirely new musical score. A new pavilion in the neighborhood will act as a home base for Epcot's signature festivals. This three-level structure will have one of "the most remarkable architectural designs at any Disney park," featuring a plaza level, a middle expo level, and a park that sits in the sky on the top level, providing an elevated view of the entire park. World Celebration will also feature a new statue celebrating Walt Disney, plus a new enchanted forest featuring a "wishing tree" and a story fountain celebrating the music of Disney.

5.  Breezeway.

DisneyParks Blog

Epcot's entrance breezeway will also be transformed, pushing the Leave-a-Legacy plates outside the park and replacing it with a reimagined fountain and new pathways that will pay homage to the origins of Epcot.

6.  World Nature.

DisneyParks Blog

World Nature will house favorites including The Land and The Seas with Nemo and Friends. A new Moana-themed attraction, "Journey of Water", will allow guest to meet and play with magical, living water while simultaneously sharing the importance of the natural water cycle. The Land will also roll out a new film, "Awesome Planet," to replace "Circle of Life: An Environmental Fable" which closed in February 2018.

7.  World Discovery.

DisneyParks Blog

World Discovery will be home to favorites like Test Track, Mission: SPACE, and Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind— which will be the first "other-world" showcase pavilion at Epcot. This new pavilion will include the "Galaxarium," which will be a planetarium-like exhibition that explores the similarities of Earth's galaxy and Xandar. The roller coaster attraction will feature the first-ever storytelling coaster for the Walt Disney Company that rotates 360 degrees and includes the first reverse launch!

A new restaurant, Space 220, will make it's new home near Mission: SPACE. The eatery will be a culinary experience featuring a panorama of space including daytime and nighttime views of Earth from 220 miles up.

8.  Epcot Experience.

DisneyParks Blog

Starting October 1st, 2019, you'll be able to see these plans in person at the Epcot Experience in the Odyssey Events pavilion. Walt Disney Imagineering will present an interactive exhibits that will showcase the park's future throughout its period of transformation.

So although our beloved "Illuminations" is leaving, there's a TON of exciting things coming to Epcot in it's place! And it's a makeover our dear Epcot deserves.