A New Chapter

A New Chapter

A tribute to me, my family, my friends and the people who doubted me.

7
A New Chapter
Karly Britton

Change is good. Change is necessary. Change means growth, new experiences and new obstacles.

I recently got accepted to college and I'm realizing as the day comes closer and closer how much my life is literally going to flip upside and turn sideways for me. Nothing is going to be as I know it now. And that automatically makes me appreciate everything and everyone I might have taken for granted day in and day out.

I'm incredibly excited, don't get me wrong, but I just can't believe I get the privilege to experience life somewhere else, to enter this new life and become a newer, better version of my self in San Luis Obispo. However, I just want to thank everyone who's gotten me to this point.

I want to thank my mom for literally dealing with the absolute worst parts of me and for seeing past that and believing in me and pushing me and when necessary, even though I see it hurts her a thousand times more than it hurts me. Using some tough love to get me through the hardest times of our lives. You are my rock, my friend, my confidante, my mom and dad figure, my whole world and I want nothing but the best for you. And if you don't start writing and pursuing your dreams as well, I'm going to have to use some of that tough love on you too! I truthfully, with my whole heart I don't think I would be where I am without you. You inspire me to do things and pursue my dreams.

I want to thank my grandma for being such an amazing role model for me, an undying source of love and support, making me food, playing tennis with me, celebrating with me and teaching me all the ways to be happy. You forever impress and fascinate me.

I'd like to thank my Dad, who although was your typical macho man and definitely not as present as I would've hoped, has become such an important part of my life. So many of the things and experiences I've had with him, I feel have shaped who I am today. He's traveled a lot of the world and almost always has taken me with him. The way we spend time together is by traveling, because he's a flight attendant and we both fly for free. I'll see him for 24 hours, on a weekend, on his route to New York; we'll meet up with family and make the best out of the little time we have together. He's taught me to be incredibly easy going and open minded, to take life by the horns and ride it. And truthfully he's taught me to rely on myself, to love my self and not have any expectations at all because that can quickly and easily lead to disappointment. He's shown me the world and its beauty and variety in people and atmospheres. Taught me to appreciate the good, the bad, and the ugly in everything, and inspired me to be a free and curious spirit all throughout life.

And I'd like to thank my friends. The ones I've lost. Because you taught me so much about who I am, who I want to be and what type of people I need in my life.

The ones who have literally been here for it all: Shelby and Helen. I find it to be incredibly fascinating how intricate and unique everyone's lives are and how you never know how big of an impact one little action can have on your entire life. That is the case with Shelby and Helen. We met on the first day I arrived at my new house across the street from them. I was seven years old and had the room with the balcony. I was decorating and finding a place for all my things when I heard laughing and yelling outside. So I went outside on my balcony and saw these two girls playing outside in their front yard and after watching them for awhile and debating to work up the courage to say something or not, I just did it and yelled "Hiiii!" They said hi back and then I asked them if they wanted to play with my new bubbles that my grandma got me. And that is the beginning of our life long friendship. It's been 13 years so they're definitely not going anywhere, they know too much and walk into my house unannounced, so it's real. But I just find it funny how if any aspect of our meeting had been different, if I hadn't said hi, if I hadn't had bubbles or didn't move to that house, the result might not have been as monumental.

The friends who are more like family: Katie. She is actually the sister I've never had. We are born on the same day, same month and same year. We both have blue eyes and blonde hair. Both our dads work for the same company. We both think we're hilarious when in all reality we're actually total jerks to each other and yet I don't know another person, (besides maybe ironically myself,) with such a kind heart and soul and who cares so much about everyone and everything that it physically hurts sometimes. She is the only one who will listen to my overly analyzed and overly detailed stories about classes, boys and my crazy family. She is the only one who I trust with my completely real and completely vulnerable heart. I'm scared to not have her in my life every day and I don't like that the one difference we have is what is going to separate our lives apart because she's been my side kick through everything. We've conquered so much together and I question weather I'll be able to conquer my problems in life with as much ease without her there by my side. Often I feel that I've found my soulmate in her. My friend soulmate anyway... So in that regard, it's comforting because I know soul mates are forever.

And lastly I'd like to thank the people who made me feel like I wasn't good enough, the people who doubted me or put me down; whether it was a teacher, a coach or a boy, you taught me to be my own motivator, my own believer and my own person. I realized quickly that I don't need people to like me or love me, or do things for me. I love me. I'm capable. And I don't need people's approval.

"The people who mind don't matter and the people who matter don't mind."