Is It Too Late To Try?

Is It Too Late To Try?

At this point it just seems like a lost cause to learn something new, right?
8

I have been saying my whole life that I always wish I knew how to play the piano, but I never learned as a child so I just wrote it off as a lost cause. Apparently, at the ripe old age of 21, I am too old to learn something new...

But if we stop trying to learn new things how do we continue to grow? We learn new skills to succeed in whatever classes we’re taking, or jobs we’re trying to land post-grad (cringe). Learning how to do something new shouldn’t be limited to only the things we deem necessary to be an adult. If we’re only living to work, what’s the point?

Life is not intended to be solely focused on working and making money. If you want to live a full life you need to make the effort to fill it- fill it with people who love you, with hobbies you enjoy, with the small things that make you smile every day. If you can’t think of one thing to smile about even at the end of your worst day, then you’re doing something wrong.

If we go through a majority of our lives just wishing we knew how to do something instead of actively trying to master these skills we miss out on so much. Why not try to learn a new language now? Why not go buy a cheap guitar or keyboard, sign up for a class, or teach yourself. There are so many resources so easily accessible to us that we just don’t take advantage of because we think it’s too late to try.

I had never thought of myself as a writer, never really did anything beyond the required essays for class. But then one day I decided to apply for the Odyssey and now two years later it was one of the best things I could have ever done. I took a chance with my writing and I could never have expected it to work out the way it did. I found something I was kind of good at and actually enjoyed doing. People were able to relate to the things I had to say and they liked reading whatever nonsense I was writing. A year later I became the Editor in Cheif, a role that has made me realise so much about myself- things I never would have known if I hadn't just decided to give writing a try.

It’s only too late if you let it get too late. Don’t put off something you want now. Set a goal for each day, week, month, year to learn something you’ve always wanted to. Don’t wait until you reach the point that you look back on your life and wish you could have done more because the only thing that’s stopping you is yourself.