6 Things You Should NEVER Say To A Mixed Chick

Growing up as a half-white half-black girl in a predominantly white town wasn't easy, but it gave me a lot of material for my future memoirs and therapy sessions. If you want to avoid not offending the next mixed girl you meet, here's my list of things you should never ask or comment about to a mixed girl.

1. "Were you adopted?"

Okay first off you probably shouldn't ask anyone if they were adopted, it's super rude and just points out what the kid already knows: they look different then the family you see them with. Pointing it out just makes them feel more uncomfortable with themselves and the situation, so next time you feel the need to ask someone that, don't. If it turns out they were adopted, they will tell you on their own time.

2. "I could tell you were black because of your hair, other than that you look white."

This comment I hear all the time, from black people, white people, everyone. When you first meet someone why do you feel the need to comment about how white they look or what about them is black or not, just ask me about what I like to do in my spare time like a normal person, Susan?

3. "If you could be 100% of one what would it be black or white?"

You're asking me which race I would rather be as if one is better than the other, it's not. I like being both and it's great to be both, I get the best of both worlds and I'm unique like a unicorn.

4. "What type of guys are you into black, or white?"

Neither, you all make me sick. Just kidding, Kenny, you are alright.

5. "You are my token black friend and you're not even really black."

LOL. Except I am really black thank you very much. You don't say someone's not really Irish if they were only 50% do you? So stop telling me I'm not really black.

6. "You're the whitest black chick I have ever met." or "You don't act black."

I. Hate. This. Comment. I'm black and I'm acting a certain way so, therefore, I'm acting black. Sorry if I'm breaking stereotypical norms you're used to but don't tell me I'm not acting the way you think I should act based on things you've seen on TV.