I Never Got Over My Emo Phase

I Never Got Over My Emo Phase

But really, who has?
48

We all did it. We all wore our hair over our entire face, had a stack of skinny jeans to the ceiling, had more band shirts than days of the week, blasted alternative and screamo music until our eardrums bled, and spent money on concerts like it was our job.

Now, that I'm an adult, I feel like a lot of that hasn't changed.

Fortunately, I enjoy showing my face instead of covering it with hair (Even if I have blue extensions). I've also removed my edgy lip piercing from back in the day. But, when it comes to music, I've never grown out of the scene.

I'm still dishing money out for concerts to see the same bands as in high school (shout-out to The Maine). Recently, I attended the Alternative Press Music Awards, an awards show featuring many of my favorite bands. When I hear the music that kept me going through the tough times and seeing the people who created that music right there, it makes me feel like a teenager again.

This year's Warped Tour was probably one of my favorites ever. Getting to meet your favorite artist and tell them how much you love their music is a really amazing experience. No one can deny the joy you feel from just singing along to your favorite song in the front row with your best friends.

I believe this is why I've always stayed true to the scene at heart (even though my appearance may not show it). The people I've met along the way and the music that we love and share. I would never want to give that up.

So, I will still continue to blast "I See Stars" in my car like no one can see me. I will still keep going to the concerts and screaming my longs out. I will still have my Breathe Carolina band shirt even if it no longer fits. Because at the end of the day, this music speaks to me. As long as my favorite bands are still around, I'll always be a little emo at heart.