It Takes A Special Heart To Work With A Special Soul

Kicking, punching, biting, spitting, I have seen it all

476
Karsyn Blauser

Going through high school I had always thought I knew what I wanted to do with my life. I wanted to work in a crime lab of some sorts and do chemistry and math my whole life, but suddenly that "dream" was altered by reality when I went to college. College is rough sometimes, no matter what you may hear, it is rough. There will be a point that you question every little part about your whole being. Why can I not look as pretty as her? Why can I not obtain a 4.0? Why can I not be happy? Why can I not figure it out? I went through this and I know other people who did this as well, but after many thoughts I came to realize that what I needed to do in life was completely different than what I thought.

After struggling as a chemistry major I made a huge realization that I had a passion for people, but not just "typical" people. The people who have limited verbal skills, those that struggle with behaviors, those who may need assistance for the rest of their lives. This led me to working with those that have a disability.

I have heard great controversy about the disability being an ability and this, to me, is true. The population of people that I plan on spending my career working with are the best type of people. They live their lives looking and hoping that somebody comes along and can help them communicate that all they want(ed) was a cup of water or to simply go to the bathroom. They also live their lives care free in a sense. Most of them know that they have something going on in their mind that they cannot control, but yet they continue to strive to be the greatest.

Yes, I have been pinched, kicked, punched, scratched, hair pulled, spit on, etc., but I continue to be there and do whatever is in my ability to help out as needed. It takes patience and perseverance to continue after a long day or week of continuous struggles, but at the end of the day or week, I always have a smile on my face.

Most of the time I am communicating with sign language or picture boards or just simple gestures. Most of the stuff that typical people take for granted. Everybody wants to be heard and understood, but not being able to process it makes the world of communication one billion times as hard. How would you like if you were frustrated, but could not tell somebody not because you did not want to, but because you can't, instead you continuously hit yourself, bang your head off the floor, or bite your hand?

I have encountered those that need help using the restroom, have a brain that stopped developing, and use as wheelchair to move from one place to another, but they never let these huge things get in their way. I have also met people that have graduated from high school and college, that drive a car or have figured out public transportation, that live in their own houses. These people are the type of person that I try to be, continuing to work through everything that stands in their way, dancing to the beat of their own drum. I have gained much knowledge doing what I have done and it is all because of the people that I have encountered.

All in all, do not sweat the little things. Never let anything stand in your way. Always, and I mean it, always live to the greatest of your abilities and strive to be the best that you could possibly be in life.