Netflix Shows Worth The Hype

Netflix Shows Worth The Hype

They're always talked about, but why should you watch them?

18
Netflix Shows Worth The Hype

It may be summer, and you may want to be outside enjoying the sunshine and hot weather, but sometimes all you really need is night of Netflix with a great show. Whether because you had a bad day, you're tired of the heat or it's raining, there's nothing wrong with occasionally staying inside and binging.

1. "The 100"

Loosely based on a book by the same name, "The 100" tells a post-apocalyptic tale following the descendants of the survivors of earth's nuclear apocalypse. Aboard the space station, where, 91 years ago, earth's residents fled to in order to escape the nuclear radiation, those who make the rules must make tough choices. Rations are a must. Laws are non-negotiable. Penalties are harsh. For the 100 teenagers imprisoned aboard the station, life turns upside down when, instead of sitting in cells waiting to be floated into space on their 18th birthdays, they are sent to the Earth with the hopes that, after 91 years, the planet would, once again, be habitable.

But why is the show worth it? Hundreds of characters, and not one is two-dimensional. Even the villains have understandable reasons for their actions. Throughout the three current seasons, characters grow and develop. That one person you hate in Season 1 may be your favorite character in Season 3. This show will keep you on your toes — not in a jump-scare sort of way, but more in the "What's going to happen next?" kind of way.

2. "Supernatural"

After 11 seasons, there has to be something special about this show, right? Well, if you like a little bit of supernatural horror mixed with humor, then this is the show for you. Join the ever-growing "Supernatural" following as the Winchester brothers, Sam and Dean, travel across the country, saving people and hunting things (read: Supernatural monsters).

In Season 1, monsters are bad and hunters are good. As the brothers age and grow into their roles, it becomes clear that not everything is black and white. Some monsters are not nearly as bad as some hunters, and those who used to be the evil villains become necessary allies.

3. "Orange is the New Black"

Is it an accurate portrayal of female prison life? Probably not. And yet, OITNB is not merely a hilarious show, but also a means of portraying real-life issues, including LGBT+ rights, problems of the prison system and feminine rights. OITNB tells the story of Piper Chapman, a woman who is sentences to 15 months after being convicted of a crime a decade old. As the story progresses, viewers learn that each female prisoner has her own story to tell and that each, individual story explains why the women are as they are.

4. "Dexter"

At this point, "Dexter" is several years old. You may even know what happens at the end. Should that stop you from sitting down and binging the entire series in a couple of days? Of course not. Instead, watch the show's protagonist, Dexter (surprise!), as he struggles with his own instincts to kill warring with his need to appear normal. In eight seasons, Dexter has several close calls with the law and has to adapt. But it's not as easy as simply outwitting the police — Dexter must also find himself to succeed.