Netflix Prices Are Going Up, And You Should Be Fine With It

Netflix Prices Are Going Up Again, And You Should Be Perfectly Fine With It

Things get more expensive when value gets added to it.

26

This week, Netflix announced prices are being raised. The price increase will affect new subscribers first, with their prices being changed immediately. Veteran subscribers will have their prices raised gradually over the next 3 months.

Naturally, there have been cries of anguish and disgust on internet boards and forums, threatening to unsubscribe from Netflix altogether because of their terrible business practices.

To all the people complaining about a $2 increase, cease.

Netflix is making content that is full of risks. Netflix has created shows that simply could not be made on another network. Take "Narcos" as an example. Having a majority Spanish-speaking cast would not be seen as a marketable show in the United States, which has a majority English-speaking audience. Instead, Netflix took a risk and greenlit the show to be made. This risk proved to be successful, as "Narcos" is one of the premier shows on their platform. Everything costs money.

Netflix is a company based in the United States, which works under capitalism. This means everything that has a demand, has a price. Netflix has truly raised the bar when it comes to original content outside of a Hollywood studio. It is only expected that prices for a product go up as it gets better in quality.

The amount of content that Netflix has created has been rising year after year. They are projected to spend $12 billion on content in this year alone. For all of these perks, a $2 price increase doesn't seem bad at all.

Your account-sharing buddies are part of the problem.

You might think you're doing a favor for your friends by letting them watch on your account. Unfortunately, you are part of the reason prices are going up. Netflix is a business that needs to make a profit in order for it to survive. Having people using accounts without paying for them will always hurt Netflix, especially with all the money they are putting in for original content creation.

It seems fair that we can expect a rise in pricing. Stop complaining.