Net Neutrality Is More Important Than You Think

The internet is the key to our sanity.

23
Wikimedia

We may lose one of the most important aspects of the internet, Net Neutrality. This is not a drill. I want to keep this article simple and to the point because it is such a time sensitive issue.

Net neutrality keeps the internet open for everyone. Basically, it keeps our internet providers from inhibiting our internet activity in order to boost their own profits. Net Neutrality keeps the internet open and free to everyone, no matter who they are or who their internet service provider is. While many online things cost money, if net neutrality disappears, then you might have to pay to use sites like Twitter or Google. Also, any business that is competing with your internet provider may be slowed down.

For example, if your internet provider is Verizon, then you may be able to use Yahoo free of charge and at lightning fast speeds. But Google, on the other hand, may be slow and terribly annoying.

This takes the choice out of the hands of the people; businesses are choosing how we can use the internet. This becomes dangerous because parts of the internet will become restricted from certain people, information will not flow as well, content will be harder to access… The main point being that the internet will no longer exist as it currently does. But it’s more than just the internet being annoying, extra costs and difficult obstacles makes information less easily accessible to many people.

On December 14th, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) will vote on whether to end Net Neutrality. And it is obvious that Net Neutrality benefits everyone other than big business. Ajit Pai, the man fighting the hardest to end Net Neutrality, used to work for Verizon. Companies would be able to silence those oppose their visions and lift those who support like-minded causes. It is outrageous that we have reached a moment in history where our internet is so at risk. And the world wide web without Net Neutrality is not the world wide web in its true form.

If you are anything like the average person who receives their information online, you probably heard about the issue regarding Net Neutrality somewhere online (maybe even from this very article). Imagine having so much of that information stripped from you, the internet we currently know and love will forever change without Net Neutrality. There are more than just memes at risk, actual information is on the line. Also, due to the fact that America is such an influential country, other countries may follow in our footsteps.

But the internet is fighting back. All over social media outlets, people are urging others to make their voices heard. There are petitions and adverts everywhere. There are even automated phone numbers you can text that will send a letter to Congress FOR YOU. At this point, it is terribly hard to find an excuse not to join the fight against Net Neutrality.

What can you do to help? Sign petitions, protest with letters to Congress, text “RESIST” to 50409, and educate your friends! Spread the word! The vote happens Thursday, December 14th. This is your final wake up call! If you don’t join the fight, we may lose the internet as we know it.