Sometimes You Need More Than Passion In Life, You Need Purpose

Life isn't just about chasing passions, it's about finding a purpose

120

I would definitely say that I'm a dreamer. I often find my mind drifting off, fantasizing about faraway places and possible futures. When I was younger, I spent most of time painting and writing - I loved it so much, I thought that when I get older I would be some kind of artist or author. Now that I'm older I still enjoy these hobbies, but I don't dream about masterpieces hanging from gallery walls or 'New York Times Bestseller' stands.

Currently, I'm looking at law school applications, LSAT practice books, and summer internships. I still paint from time to time and I write articles every week for my Odyssey community, but not as much as I use to. I just don't have as much free time as did when I was a kid, and sometimes it's nice to think about the easier days when I could play all day and sleep all night. As we grow up we realize that sometimes our passions are hobbies; hobbies we might continue into our adult life or leave behind in childhood.

The beginning of this school year, I had convinced myself that I wanted to be a writer. I had so many ideas about books, series, and even TV shows that I figured with a lot of passion I could make it happen. Then the harsh reality of the world hit me and I realized that being a writer needed more than just passion - I needed experience, time management, and a whole lot of drive. Even then becoming a great author let alone a famous one was going to be difficult and the more I realized all the energy it'd take the less I wanted to do it. Some people might say that maybe I wasn't just cut out to be a writer and that's fine, I probably wasn't but then again a lot of other people aren't either. Having passions are great but passions alone can't take you all the way.

Deciding writing wasn't going to be my lifelong career was a hard pill to swallow, but it gave me time to look for other things. I started to realize that we often let out passions take control of our path in life, but they usually don't lead us where we belong. Passion can be something that shows the world who you are but it doesn't have to be all that you're known for. Passion doesn't always give you a stable job or a strong romantic relationship.

Passion doesn't pay the bills or take care of the kids at home. Passion without a purpose doesn't work. Your career could start at a job that you never thought you work at and you just might come to love it. You might go through several jobs before finding a place for you. We have been told that we shouldn't settle when a job doesn't let us live out our passions and I don't agree. Your job doesn't define you, at least not completely. If you keep wandering around looking for the perfect job, you won't find it, because instead go finding a job that fulfills your passions, be passionate about the job you work at.