Are You K-Popped Out? What About K-Indie Band Nell?

Call them the "younger" more moodier version of Coldplay.

76
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb80uY4gFk1/?hl=en&taken-by=nelljwk
Instagram

Korean pop music has in recent years made a big splash here in the U.S. with acts such as BTS gathering such huge followings. As someone who was obsessed once upon a time with Kpop music, I couldn't be anymore prouder. There is another genre of music known as K-Indie that is part of the non-mainstream music in Korea but has become one of my favorite genres to listen to in recent years.

For those who don't know what K-Indie stands for it is Korean Indie or what is considered non-mainstream music. So I thought I would introduce you guys to the band called Nell. They're such a fantastic band whose music will get you hooked the minute the first melody starts playing. They are pretty popular in the alternative/indie music realm in Korea. Their sound and style of lyrics remind me slightly of Coldplay, in that their very deep and profound but that is in no way comparing the two bands because both are extremely talented on their own. Here are a couple of songs I wanted to highlight for you guys. So sit back and get ready to hear some awesome new music!

White Night

White Night" is a beautiful, haunting song about a failed relationship and has constantly been playing on my Youtube playlist all this week. Even though tons, and I mean tons of their songs are about past relationships and the obstacles of life, they always bring a new feeling to it. It makes me sad and filled with longing for something I don't even have, if ever. There's a portion of the song where he says, "I can't get over you, you just keep shining on and on through my time" that always gets to me. Its so full of longing for that person that you're not ready to let go of.

Ocean of Light

Just a great song. Every time I listen to it I feel nostalgic and start remembering things in my past. "Ocean of Light" is the perfect song to just relax with. The music is so soothing and it lets your mind wander to the happy places. Nell knows exactly how to create music that fits life perfectly. Every song of theirs hits my emotional spot and this song is no exception.

The Day Before

Probably my all-time favorite song from Nell is this laid-back, coffee-house style mournful song. Looking up the lyrics in English won't get the fine details of the original lyrics but it helps to understand it more. Also a great song as background music for those rainy days.