Natural - its more than just a hair style

Being natural is more than just switching the relaxer for the flexi rods

9

Around 10th grade I decided to let go of the creamy crack and embrace the beautiful kinks and coils I was blessed with naturally. I used to get one relaxer right before the school year started and let it wear out as the school year progressed. Around soccer season was when my hair would always remind me 'Hey, you have curls!' as my new growth would trickle from my scalp. I remember sitting in history running my hand through my wavy new growth, thinking 'hmmm, this feels kind of nice,'. It was then, I stopped requesting my yearly relaxer appointment at my beloved dominican shop in the south side of Richmond. I have been natural for about three years and it is about more than just twist-outs and 'wash-and-go's. It's about....

Embracing how beautiful my black is

As a young girl, I had low self-esteem; I tried desperately to fit in despite my calling to go at the beat of my own drum (thanks public school system). I relaxed my hair, keeping it bone straight until soccer season. I wanted to try things other than flat irons and curling wands, but who would want to sit beside that bushy haired girl? As I grew older I got sick of my scalp being fried in the salon and trying to fit in. So the summer going into 12th grade, instead of trying to tame my mane with relaxer, I tried to go 'natural'. This change was not easy! I went from silk presses and hair wraps to spending hours in the hair store selecting the right natural cremes and custards. As I experimented on my scalp I was surprised at how beautiful and unique each strand of hair was. Why did I spend so much time pressing out this uniqueness? This growth in confidence started with my hair and spread to my overall body. I carry my head higher and walk with more of a happier stride because I like me; I'm not a look-alike. I'm not confined to european standards of beauty (or anyone's for that matter).

Cleansing myself inside out; no chemicals in the hair, no chemicals in the body

Alright so my hair smells like cocoanut oil and shea butter but my food was not as organic as the products in my hair. As I transitioned to natural hair, my appetite changed as well. I began to wise up on what I ate and become more cautious of what I put into my body (after all, your body is your temple). I slowed up on eating at fast food restaurants, fried foods, and sweets. Here on campus, I have been venturing to the vegan line eating more hummus than hamburgers. What you eat affects hair growth and health. Plus, we cannot have healthy hair and bad skin naturalistas!

Experimenting and seeing how versatile and lit my hair is

The more I experiment with my hair, the more I wonder why did I ever settle with boring, lifeless, straight hair. Of course it was easier to manage, but I was sleeping one of my most adorned features; my hair. From wash and go's, flex rods, perm rods, to crocket braids, straw sets, and updo's, is there anything the African American scalp cannot slay?! Many people say natural is not for them...then others respond "How not? It's literally your hair" what they mean is that natural hair is time consuming and not everyone has an abundance of hours like father time.

Stepping out of my comfort zone

As I grew comfortable with my hair I grew confident. I started stepping out of my comfort zone and doing things that I would not normally do, due to shyness. I didn't think all of this would come from changing my hair! I started molding into my own person as I went from "perms" to perm rods. I stopped caring about what others say, and that my friend's is how you embrace your Black Girl Magic.

You never know who you will inspire.

As I transitioned to natural hair, I unknowingly inspired others in my family to change as well. Now, most of the younger women in my family are natural, and the main topic of conversation at family gatherings is hair!

Going Natural is about more than just changing a hair style; its about embracing the beautiful, unapologetic, confident fire within each and every one of us. Everyone's natural hair journey will be different which is the best part about the transition. The transition won't be roses and daisies for everyone, but it is a worthwhile experience.

Stay golden,

Arlette H.

(Before and after becoming natural pics....p.s. shrinkage is deceiving)