This time last year, I was heavily debating whether or not I had the time needed to begin writing for Odyssey. Thankfully, I decided this would be worth my time, and it was!
I now have a few dozen published articles in my name, another bullet point on my resume, and an experience I would not trade for anything.
Every week, I wrote about whatever I chose. Some weeks, it was on my faith. Others, it was on dealing with school. And occasionally, it was on topics like just how rude it is to overlook the amazing holiday that is Thanksgiving!
With expectations of an article every week, my creativity often became desperate for a topic better than what I had written just seven days ago. Thankfully, some of my more - um - creative ideas never made it to an audience. Even so, I still believe they have potential for another writer to pick up and run with!
Here's a few ideas that sat around my dorm on sticky notes before I embarrassedly threw them away when my friends said, "um, really?". They're not the best, but they could be a lot worse!
1. I'm The One Who Brought Scrunchies Back, And I'm Ready For The Credit I Deserve
2. 20 People Who Will Never Be As Much Of An Icon As L'il Sebastian
3. You Might Be Lazy, But It Took Me Until Late January To Decorate My Dorm
4. Making Eye Contact With Others While They Eat Asserts Your Dominance
5. Cold Brew Is Gross, You All Just Want To Be Cool
6. I Don't Trust People Who Bite Into Ice Cream, And Neither Should You
7. An Open Letter To The Girl Who Dropped Her Hydro Flask On My Foot
8. 51 Reasons The Aliens From Area 51 Will Mock Us Once We Rescue Them
9. 49 Things I Would Rather Do Than Climb Another Set Of Stairs At UNCC
10. I Learned I Was Cocky When I Drove Home From College To Put My A-Plus Paper On My Parents' Fridge
11. My Roommate Hypnotized Me Into Liking Crocs, And You Can't Convince Me Otherwise
12. I Still Don't Know Who J. Cole Is, But At This Point It's Too Late To Ask
13. A Step-By-Step Guide On Dressing Like A Soccer Mom When You're Really A College Sophomore
14. I Would Rather Eat A Bug Than Deal With Dropping My Phone Off A Lofted Bed One More Time
15. Girls Who Talk Me Up In The Comments Section Of My Insta Post Have Restored My Faith In Mankind
16. You're All Sleeping On The Turtleneck Trend, And I'm Tired Of It
17. The Live-Action 'Lion King' Is Just A Glorified Cartoon
18. How To Lose A Plant In 10 Days
19. 100 Times Chick-Fil-A Workers Proved They Are The Heroes We Don't Deserve
20. I Unlocked A New Level Of Life When I Learned How To Fold A Fitted Sheet
21. The Irony Of Edward Cullen Playing Batman Is Being Dangerously Overlooked
22. Bella Cullen And Mike Newton Had Serious Rom-Com Potential
23. I'm A Different Person When My Dress Has Pockets
24. I Just Need A Guy To Love Me As Much As College Guys Love Bragging About Seeing 'Avengers: Endgame' On Opening Night
25. I Disowned My Sister When She Ate The Last Reese's Egg, But It Was Necessary
26. I Support Technology, But I Also Use My Kindle As A Bookmark
27. I Can't Do Taxes, But I Know The First 4 Notes Of 'Hot Cross Buns' On The Recorder
28. My Friends Are More Savage Than The Oompa Loompa's In Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory
29. I Might Be An Adult, But I'm Still Not A 'Grown-Up'
30. I Survived Freshman Year Without A Towel Rack, And Here's How You Can Too
Thank you to everyone who has read, commented on, and inspired my writing this past year! Looking to join Odyssey? Give it a shot! When else will you get an opportunity to share your writing on a platform like this?
So long, Odyssey!
It's been exciting.
It's been challenging.
It's been rewarding.
And most importantly, it's been fun!
Natalie Austin (UNC Charlotte, Editor-In-Chief)