Activities To Do In The Nation's Capital

5 Ways To Have The Summer You deserve In The Nation's Capital

Don't let a 9-5 or summer classes deter you from enjoying your time in The Nation's Capital, take a break.

36
Sydnee Martin

While working a 9-5, taking summer classes, or an internship can be overwhelming, it doesn't hurt to treat yourself to the various events taking place in your city. The D.C. day and nightlife have plenty of events during the summer to keep you entertained and in a creative, happy mood before the fall comes around and makes life busier.

D.C. is full of museums to explore, events happening on the mall, and so many people to meet in the process. Even if you are working for the whole day and probably won't have time to enjoy what takes place during the day, the weekend will also be there to give you a summer experience you won't forget.

1. Museum Exploring

With 19 Smithsonian museums, that includes galleries, and a zoo, to choose from and additional museums throughout the city, you'll have the option to tackle all of them in a week or so if you wanted to. Despite most of the museums opening at 10 a.m. and closing around 5:30 p.m., the weekend still gives you the chance to visit one if you can't make it during the weekday.

If you need a place to start, check out the top 5 museums to explore. Whether you want to learn about the workings of the universe at the Air and Space Museum or Natural History Museum or all about Black history at the National Museum of African American History and Culture, you're bound to find one that expresses your interests.

2. Jazz in the Gardens

Needing some tunes for your ears while also being surrounded by beautiful art displays and blooming flowers? A free jazz series known as Jazz in the Gardens will take place in the Sculpture Garden, located on the grounds of the National Garden Gallery of Art.

Bring family and friends to the area as you listen in on various backgrounds of music ranging from Traditional New Orleans jazz, go-go, and more, taking place every Friday until August 24, 2018 from 5:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. There are certain rules on the premises so make sure you take a look at the guidelines before going.

3. The Wharf

With the newly opened area back in 2017, The Wharf is still adding new additions to the area. The good thing about summer is that it doesn't get dark until after 8 p.m., so you still have time to enjoy some of the day, even though humidity in D.C. is no joke.

Grab a bite to eat, walk along the waterfront, go to a workout class and enjoy the architecture. If you're in the mood for a concert (hopefully, you grabbed tickets beforehand), The Anthem is the place to be to listen to your favorite artists along with other venues in the area.

4. A Trip with Kennedy

Whether you were able to or not able to get tickets to Hamilton which is on tour at The Kennedy Center, there are plenty of shows where that came from. The Kennedy Center offers a wide range of shows to see depending on whatever your interest. Whether it's to see The Color Purple, a show about The Temptations, or even The Symphony Orchestra, options are limitless.

The greatest one of all: free performances daily at 6 p.m., 7 days a week. Who doesn't love free things, especially in the city?

5. Movies, movies, and more movies

There's just something about the summer which makes you want to look at the hottest (pun not intended) new movies coming out. Let's not forget to mention that "Incredibles 2" recently came out, and most of us have waited 14 years for this moment. To be honest, it was worth it.

The city has a variety of movie theaters you can tune in to: AMCs, Regal, Landmark E Street Cinemas which show numerous amounts of Indie movies, and many more theaters around the area. While there has been some mixed reviews about the company, a great way to go see a movie is MoviePass. You have the option to see a movie daily by paying a monthly subscription of $9.95. It can certainly be helpful especially with movies costing up to $13 in the city.

Of course museums, Jazz in the Gardens, The Wharf, The Kennedy Center, and movies are just some of the few ways to still enjoy your summer. The city has plenty more of where that came from. Also, a big help to finding events in your area is Facebook and Washington, D.C. listings for more!

It's always a good idea to get out of the room while you can, especially if you're stuck inside for eight hours in an office building. Even if you decide to go walking to the various memorials around the area. Going outside for even just a little and having a good time will give you the summer worth remembering in D.C.