5 Museums You Need to Visit If You Find Yourself In Washington, D.C.

Oh, did I mention that they are free?

96
Sydnee Martin

There are certainly many things to love about D.C., especially as someone who goes to college here. The way that the city isn't too jam-packed like New York City, how you can walk pretty much everywhere to view the sites, and not too mention how there are thousands of people from different walks of life. Now, D.C. is known for its monuments and museums, so I decided to touch on my top favorite museums in D.C.

Not to mention these are all Smithsonian museums which brings me to say that all these museums are free. Yes, I said it, free. Meaning that you can enter as you will, but of course, have to pay for the items at the gift shop, go through security, and face the maddening crowds (unless you catch the museum on a good day where people have decided not to come down and be a tourist).

1. Air and Space Museum

The Air and Space Museum has two different locations, one in Washington, D.C. and one in Chantilly, VA. I only ever went to the one in Virginia so I can't really speak on behalf of the one in D.C., but I've heard that the exhibit inside is really nice. This girl right here has some crazy fascination about space and the sky for some reason so that probably explains why the Air and Space Museum is even on this list. (I feel like I was an astronaut in my past life, who knows?)

The fact that you get to witness the different air crafts and what we've seen of space is pretty fascinating and almost seems like you've witnessed all there was to the sky and above itself. Some people view this museum to be unexciting, but I mean, it doesn't hurt to take a look, right? Also, one of the Transformer movies took place at the one in VA, if that doesn't persuade you I don't know what else will.

2. American History Museum

This museum probably has to be one of my favorites and I've been inside only a couple of times. The amount of history within this one museum can twist the visitors' mind inside and out with what they see. Upon walking in you see a path which will lead you to what I believe is the first American flag, but then split to the East and West side of the building.

You'll have the chance to look at the various transportation methods that have evolved over time, the American Presidency, the dresses of the First Ladies, and so much more. There are currently exhibits that are only up for a short amount of time such as one on Ella Fitzgerald and the lives of Japanese Americans during WWII.

3. Portrait Gallery

This may not sound like a fascinating museum, but trust me, it has more besides just portraits. You'll have the opportunity to see paintings of various people, some even well-known such as Frida Kahlo. There's also a giant replica of the U.S. somewhere along the museum which features various TV shows from way back when that may have taken place in each of the states.

Not to mention that in the direct middel of the museum is a large events venue known as Kogod Courtyard. I've heard it's a great place to study, grab a bit to eat, and even attend one of the many events that they host.

4. Hirshhorn

Hirshhorn has to be one of the most unique museums that I've witnessed. Growing up, I thought museums were where a person walked around and stared at items hanging on the wall or displays that you didn't really know what it meant but you still liked to admire it. This museum features all those thoughts that you may have had but has yet to explore an art museum.

The Hirshhorn has different exhibits at various times throughout the year and each has its own twist to the meaning behind each piece. I'm totally not bitter though that I missed out on the Yayoi Kusama: Infinity Mirrors exhibit which took place last year and traveled to various places such as Seattle and New York. Definitely not bitter.

5. National Museum of African American History & Culture

Well, the final and one of my favorite museums since it first opened in 2016: the NMAAHC. How does one even explain the rich and deep history that is featured in this museum? Each floor transports you to a different time period of African American history as you learn about the struggles, the drive, and milestones that African Americans have gone through as a people.

Although I'm not sure if it's still required on whether you need a time pass to enter the museum, I believe that each and every human being should visit this museum. This picture above doesn't even do it justice on how beautiful and powerful this museum is. You'll find yourself spending 3+ hours in here, but it's worth it. I promise.

These Smithsonian museums each hold their own form of beauty and history within the building. There were certainly other important and favorite museums that were not a part of Smithsonian in this article: the Holocaust Museum, the Newseum, and the Library of Congress (which is full of historical documents and is a place where you can event study and rent books)! If you find yourself in D.C. stop by some of these buildings and immerse yourself in history!