It's National Suicide Prevention Month And Suicide Rates Are Still Going Up

National Suicide Prevention Month is a time to remember those affected by suicide, to raise awareness, and to focus efforts on directing treatment to those who need it most. But there are still people who feel alone.

58
Photo by Dan Meyers on Unsplash

Did you know that one in five adults will experience mental illnesses this year? Or that every year, thousands of individuals die by suicide? How about suicide was the second leading cause of death for people ages 10-34 in the United States in 2017? Let's not forget that 50% of people in the United States know someone who has died by suicide in their lifetime.

Let's bring attention to the fact that one person dies by suicide every eleven minutes in the United States. You might be thinking, "oh, that's not bad." Except, suicide is the second leading cause of death in the world for those aged 15-24 years old. Do you know what is more common than AIDS, cancer, and diabetes? Depression.

If you're thinking about suicide or know someone who is, I urge you to finish reading this article.

To the one thinking about committing suicide,

You are not alone. You are loved. You are cherished. People do care and they will miss you. You will miss a lot. You will miss the sunrises and the sunsets. You will miss the smell of fall and the smile on your parent's faces. You will miss hearing your favorite song and seeing your friends. You will miss impulse decisions and the people who smile at you in the halls. You will miss the little things. Like the birds, the bees, the rainbows, and everything in between.

Not only will you miss a lot but you will be missed a lot. Think about your younger sibling coming home and realizing they do not have anyone to look up to now. Think about how crushed your parents would be. Think of how crushed your friends would be, your society, your community. Think of how they will make the announcement and your friend's hearts will fall to the floor.

I know you are hurting now but please hear me when I say the pain does fade away and you truly will find the light at the end of the tunnel. Please, keep holding on.

To those who lost someone from suicide,

I know there are not any words to comfort you. I know you want so bad to spread awareness. I know it is hard to get out of bed every day and not think about them. Trust me, I know. I've been in your shoes three times. Once for my uncle, once for my best friend, and once for my teacher. The pain from suicide hurts, not only you but those around you. There is no other heartbreak than getting a phone call that you lost a loved one and feeling the guilt that you could have saved them. You are not alone.

For those wanting to know the signs of suicide, these are not all but here are some big symptoms.

1. Excessive sadness

2. Hopelessness

3. Sleep problems

4. Sudden calmness

5. Withdrawal

6. Changes in personality and/or appearance

7. Dangerous of self-harmful behavior

8. Recent trauma or life crisis

9. Making preparations

10. Threatening suicide

If you or a loved one are struggling with thoughts of suicide please reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.

1-800-273-8255