National Squirrel Appreciation Day

National Squirrel Appreciation Day

Here are 12 ways to acknowledge squirrel day.

604
National Squirrel Appreciation Day
google images

National Squirrel Appreciation Day is January 21st. Christy Hargrove, a wildlife rehabilitator from Asheville, North Carolina created this day in 2001. Squirrel Appreciation Day is observed to remind people that these adorable animals deserve an equal amount of respect even though they can be pesky. Squirrels are found all over the world as they are native to Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe, and also introduced to Australia. There are over 200 species of squirrels that are currently known. The smallest squirrel species is the African pygmy squirrel and is only about three inches long. The largest squirrel species is the Indian giant squirrel and can grow to be as long as three feet. Squirrels are an important aspect to the environment because they assist in the dispersion of nuts and seeds that aids in forest renewal. Oftentimes, the squirrels will forget about the food they have buried in the ground, so the nuts and seeds will sprout in during the spring and grow into plants and trees. Here are 12 fun ways that you can participate in National Squirrel Appreciation Day to acknowledge that these cute and important mammals do exist.

1. Set up a squirrel feeder in your yard.

Give the squirrels their own special space and maybe then they will stay out of your bird feeders.

2. Wear squirrel themed clothing.

If the full mascot costume is too much for you, then a squirrel t-shirt or a pair of socks adorned with squirrels will do just fine.

3. Watch squirrel documentaries.

There is so much to learn...

4. Plant or donate a tree.

Provide a new home for a squirrel.

5. Eat some nuts.

The most basic way to celebrate National Squirrel Appreciation Day.

6. Drink your coffee out of a squirrel mug.

Start celebrating from the moment you pour that first cup of coffee.

7. Make squirrel themed food.

Almost to cute to eat. Almost.

8. Read a book to learn squirrel facts.

Did you know that a squirrel's front teeth grow at the rate of six inches per year?

9. Create squirrel arts and crafts.

Now you have decorations to display next year on National Squirrel Appreciation Day.

10. Take pictures of squirrels.

Photo creds: me + my iPhone

11. Eat food off of squirrel toothpicks.

These are so cute that they should be used every single day of the year, not just on January 21st.

12. Watch movies that have squirrel characters.

Scrat the squirrel is definitely the best character in the Ice Age movies.