Myla Dalbesio Takes The World

Myla Dalbesio Takes The World

This size ten model is determined to make a difference in the world.

138
Myla Dalbesio Takes The World
Calvin Klein

Myla Dalbesio’s modeling career exploded after she was featured in Calvin Klein’s 2014 underwear campaign. This week, people have not stopped retweeting her photos with the caption “Calvin Klein’s first plus sized model” on Twitter. I was appalled at first sight due to the fact that she is clearly a healthy, average-sized girl. Myla is a size ten model, she is not as skinny as most of today’s size zero models, but she is no plus size.

Dalbesio tells ELLE Magazine that Calvin Klein did not advertise her as a “plus sized model” in the campaign but they released her in the campaign with everyone else. Calvin Klein shared with ELLE, “…these images are intended to communicate that our new line is more inclusive and available in several silhouettes in an extensive range of sizes.” Calvin Klein is not advertising her as a plus-sized model or using the term “plus sized” at all. Yet, advertising that all shapes and sizes can wear their brand of bras and panties.

Myla is heavily influencing girls all over; she is healthy and confident with her body. Of course, like every girl, Dalbesio has her insecurities. She writes in her personal column for ELLE Magazine; “Even though I love my body, when I'm in a room with people who are half my size, it makes me feel like something's wrong with me. Of course, I then remember that these girls are just like me. They're insecure too.” In her column for ELLE she intends to talk about insecurities, answer questions, discuss fashion and other subjects. She even includes her email address in order to give readers a personal way to contact her with thoughts and questions.

Dalbesio was amazed at the amount of feedback she was receiving. She was shocked that people were actually listening to her message and that she could truly make a difference. It is amazing how much of an impact she is making on girls all over the country with her photos but also with her feminist art. Girls look at her standing in her bra and undies looking proud of herself, giving them the ability to be confident in their bodies as well. Dalbesio says the reactions that she has received from young girls made her realize how she now carries such a great responsibility.

Myla Dalbesio is absolutely my newest girl crush. She is smart, confident, and artistically talented. Her confidence is contagious as she continues to spread the idea of loving your body type wherever she goes. Dalbesio even participated in StyleLikeU’s “What’s Underneath” project as she discusses her wish to make other people feel good about themselves with her modeling and art. She also confesses her past personal struggles with her body and how she faced them. Myla is truly an inspiration to “in-betweenies” everywhere.